How do I change folder icon (Windows 7) if there is no customize tab?

Anonymous
2009-12-18T14:51:46+00:00

original title:  Change folder icon (Windows 7)

I want to be able to customize the icon for a folder. When I right click the folder and select Properties, there is no Customize tab (as in Vista) to select an image to represent the folder.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-04-08T18:43:05+00:00

Hi.  I believe the problem is that you are in "Documents Library" view, rather than the actual "Folder Location"

  1. Right-click the folder you want to change the icon of
  2. Select "Open Folder Location"... it's just above "properties"
  3. Once you are in the "Folder Location", right-click the folder again that you want to change
  4. Select "Properties" at the bottom
  5. Select "Customize"... the far right tab
  6. the "Change Icon" button is at the bottom

[Note: For the changed icon to show up in the "Library" view also, you may need to close and re-open file explorer]

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-18T21:24:33+00:00

Perhaps you tried on a Library rather than on a folder? Try on an ordinary folder and you should find the Customize tab.


If you find my answer was what you were looking for, please remember to click the "Propose as answer" link below. If you find it helpful, please mark it with 'Vote As Helpful'.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-29T15:48:18+00:00

Laurie_g,

Highlight or single click on the folder > click file > open folder location > right click properties > the “customize” tab should be available now.

I hope that helps!


Lisa

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-07-17T17:11:10+00:00

    I right clicked on the folder on my desktop it does not have "open folder location"

    how do I get to the library folders??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-27T14:12:53+00:00

    cant do the contacts or desktop why?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments