Print Spooler keeps restarting

Anonymous
2009-08-31T19:54:08+00:00

I screwed up my print spooler in windows 7. It's in a restarting loop and does not allow me to do anything. The fix it tool from Microsoft that usually works great and clears out all the print drivers so that I can start fresh does not work in windows 7.

How can I fix this issue in 7?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-09-01T11:23:56+00:00

Hello Methodman85,

 Thank you for using Microsoft Windows Forums.

 Sorry you are having this problem with your printer.  I would suggest submiting your question at the link below for Windows 7 Forums.  You can also search FAQ's as well as submit a question.  Thanks!

Windows 7

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

I would also try the steps below to see if this helps out.  This is from the same site where the Fix It tool is located. 

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/8c11977e-8244-408f-a036-7978a618d7a21033.mspx#EOD

A print spooler is software that temporarily stores print jobs on the computer hard disk or in memory until the printer is ready to print them. If you've been waiting an unusually long time for a document to print, or if you see an error message about the print spooler, spooler subsystem, or spooler resources, you might need to change and then restart the Print Spooler service on your computer.

To do this, we recommend that you save your work, and then restart the computer to restart the Print Spooler service. If you don't want to restart the computer, try these steps instead.

 To change or restart the Print Spooler service

 You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1.  Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Administrative Tools.

2.  Double-click Services.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.  Right-click the Print Spooler service, and then click Properties.

4.  On the General tab, next to Startup type, make sure that Automatic is selected.

5.  If the service is not already running, under Service status, click Start, and then click OK.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.


James Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-11-15T06:08:21+00:00

    Hello,

    I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and I have rolled back my system all the way to September 27th, but after the lates service pac is installed I will loose my Firefox settings and Firefox will not startup due to an error so I have to upgrade Firefox and still loose all my settings and cache site information and worst of all my Hp 1020 LJ printer is no longer installed. I tried re-installing after reseting the Print Spooler but it immediately disables again. No clue why the last update is so distructive on my system.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-11-06T13:43:22+00:00

    Thank you.^^

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-03T14:22:51+00:00

    For windows 7 the service is spooler.exe

    if its already running restart the service

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-09-21T10:51:42+00:00

    All People,

    Give below link a try

    http://www.sysprobs.com/print-spooler-stopping-automatically-fix

    Thanks

    Mahesh

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments