Print Spooler keeps restarting

Anonymous
2009-08-31T19:54:08+00:00

I screwed up my print spooler in windows 7. It's in a restarting loop and does not allow me to do anything. The fix it tool from Microsoft that usually works great and clears out all the print drivers so that I can start fresh does not work in windows 7.

How can I fix this issue in 7?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-09-01T11:23:56+00:00

Hello Methodman85,

 Thank you for using Microsoft Windows Forums.

 Sorry you are having this problem with your printer.  I would suggest submiting your question at the link below for Windows 7 Forums.  You can also search FAQ's as well as submit a question.  Thanks!

Windows 7

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

I would also try the steps below to see if this helps out.  This is from the same site where the Fix It tool is located. 

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/8c11977e-8244-408f-a036-7978a618d7a21033.mspx#EOD

A print spooler is software that temporarily stores print jobs on the computer hard disk or in memory until the printer is ready to print them. If you've been waiting an unusually long time for a document to print, or if you see an error message about the print spooler, spooler subsystem, or spooler resources, you might need to change and then restart the Print Spooler service on your computer.

To do this, we recommend that you save your work, and then restart the computer to restart the Print Spooler service. If you don't want to restart the computer, try these steps instead.

 To change or restart the Print Spooler service

 You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1.  Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Administrative Tools.

2.  Double-click Services.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.  Right-click the Print Spooler service, and then click Properties.

4.  On the General tab, next to Startup type, make sure that Automatic is selected.

5.  If the service is not already running, under Service status, click Start, and then click OK.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.


James Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-07-19T12:32:49+00:00

    Print Spooler issues in Windows 7

    hi guys

    I need to install printer for a user but I cant ,I checked the services

    I have a proplem in (Print Spooler) service if I start it it will stop after 10 second , again will start after than again will stop every 10 or 15 second.

    please help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-05-25T19:33:26+00:00

    I have had this problem for WEEKS, have restarted the spooler, deleted the printer and re-installed the driver.  This is what FINALLY worked for me (Windows 7 only)

    In the start menu click on                                                          Control Panel

    In the Control Panel click on                                                    Troubleshooting

    In the Troubleshooting area  under

                                     Hardware and Sound  click on                Use a Printer     

    Click next, let it tell you what the problems are and

                follow the prompts to fix (need to be able to be Administrator)

    Mine found that somehow  my printer was no longer shared with the Home group AND   there was a job stuck in the spooler (this had shown up nowhere in the print spool) which was stopping new jobs from spooling (I think that's what it implied). Anyway, I clicked on the option to fix each problem and I can finally print.

     Now that I know about the

    "Troubleshooting"  area in Control Panel, I will be going there first with my problems from now on.

    Hope this helps,   Best of luck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-09T03:02:52+00:00

    My printer will not print.

    It tells me that i should restart my spooler

    How do I do this

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-02-21T14:48:53+00:00

    Guys, this is a fine work around, but it is just that, a work around only.  We need to find a solution that resolves the issue once and for all.

    I will bookmark this thread and come back and post the solution if I happen to find it or develop it.

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments