Print Spooler keeps restarting

Anonymous
2009-08-31T19:54:08+00:00

I screwed up my print spooler in windows 7. It's in a restarting loop and does not allow me to do anything. The fix it tool from Microsoft that usually works great and clears out all the print drivers so that I can start fresh does not work in windows 7.

How can I fix this issue in 7?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-09-01T11:23:56+00:00

Hello Methodman85,

 Thank you for using Microsoft Windows Forums.

 Sorry you are having this problem with your printer.  I would suggest submiting your question at the link below for Windows 7 Forums.  You can also search FAQ's as well as submit a question.  Thanks!

Windows 7

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

I would also try the steps below to see if this helps out.  This is from the same site where the Fix It tool is located. 

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/8c11977e-8244-408f-a036-7978a618d7a21033.mspx#EOD

A print spooler is software that temporarily stores print jobs on the computer hard disk or in memory until the printer is ready to print them. If you've been waiting an unusually long time for a document to print, or if you see an error message about the print spooler, spooler subsystem, or spooler resources, you might need to change and then restart the Print Spooler service on your computer.

To do this, we recommend that you save your work, and then restart the computer to restart the Print Spooler service. If you don't want to restart the computer, try these steps instead.

 To change or restart the Print Spooler service

 You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1.  Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Administrative Tools.

2.  Double-click Services.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.  Right-click the Print Spooler service, and then click Properties.

4.  On the General tab, next to Startup type, make sure that Automatic is selected.

5.  If the service is not already running, under Service status, click Start, and then click OK.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.


James Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-05-05T20:05:37+00:00

    Hello BarneyBoy48.

    So if uninstalling the print and document services in programs and features\Turn windows features on-off applet

    and rebooting and then adding the feature back in does not work.

    There may be a dependancy in the Spooler registry setting that is pointing at a printer driver or service that is not available.

    look at the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler registry key. Looking for "Dependant on service" reg_Value

    My Win7 uses RPCSS and http by default. Look for your drivers service name there if so, Remove it and leave only the default.

    Review

    1. removing and then adding the print and document services feature in affect reinstalls the spooler components and reg values.
    2. verifying the spooler service is not dependant on a non existant or broken applications service entry

    and return the spooler registry values to default.

    Thanks

    -d


    QSupport Engineer Windows Home Server

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-05-05T09:05:33+00:00

    Defitz,

    I have posted similar concerns on various forums regarding this issue.

    I started getting messages on start-up telling me that my computer could not find my Epson software, although I know I installed it and I went to great lengths setting up the Wifi option.  I started getting the messages about a week after the printer developed a mechanical fault and had to be sent away for repair.

    I didn't take too much notice of it at first but it became such a nuisance I decided to see if I could uninstall it all and reinstall ata later date when the printer came back.  The uninstall succeeded in getting rid of the annoying messages, but when reviewing the programs in the Start Menu an EPSON folder remained with a subfolder which contains three items, two of which have no where to go and the third for Tech Support which takes you to the Epson website.  Going from the Control Panel, Programs and Features, there is still an item in the list that is called Epson SX600FW Series Uninstall, but it has no size or version info.  It does indicate when it was installed and of course the owner (Seiko Epson).

    I tried a registry clean but that didn't clear them out either.

    Since I have tried installing some HP printer drivers from both CDROM and the HP website but both stop and deliver errors.  namely Error 1813 initially telling me that the Spooler needs to be restarted.  I figured out how go about this but it didn't work.  I got another message saying it had taken too long and gave me an Error 1053.

    I am now in the same position as about a 1000+ other users of this faulty Windows 7 OS.  And the solutions are not coming in thick and fast.

    Having read my account, have you any further comments or solutions?


    Barneyboy48

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-01-27T06:31:01+00:00

    Try unchecking the Print and Document Services feature in the Programs and Features applet.

    this will remove the items that are selected in the subcatagory of that feature.

     let the machine reboot when it ask's. Log back in and try to print.

    I did this today after spending an hour or so trying to get the spooler to start and it worked. you can reselect the feature after reboot and add them back in.

    If you use sc.exe  when this occurrs and view the error message when you try to start spooler You will observe the error states that the dependencies may be marked for deletion. This may be a clue as to how win7 treats print services as a install\uninstallable module onlike XP.

    More on this later.Hope it works for you. 

    P.S.

     After trying this at home on the same machine my local cached login does not act the same way as my work

     gpo controlled environment. I was able to start and stop the spooler without any issue.  

    -defitz

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more