Print Spooler keeps restarting

Anonymous
2009-08-31T19:54:08+00:00

I screwed up my print spooler in windows 7. It's in a restarting loop and does not allow me to do anything. The fix it tool from Microsoft that usually works great and clears out all the print drivers so that I can start fresh does not work in windows 7.

How can I fix this issue in 7?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-09-01T11:23:56+00:00

Hello Methodman85,

 Thank you for using Microsoft Windows Forums.

 Sorry you are having this problem with your printer.  I would suggest submiting your question at the link below for Windows 7 Forums.  You can also search FAQ's as well as submit a question.  Thanks!

Windows 7

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

I would also try the steps below to see if this helps out.  This is from the same site where the Fix It tool is located. 

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/8c11977e-8244-408f-a036-7978a618d7a21033.mspx#EOD

A print spooler is software that temporarily stores print jobs on the computer hard disk or in memory until the printer is ready to print them. If you've been waiting an unusually long time for a document to print, or if you see an error message about the print spooler, spooler subsystem, or spooler resources, you might need to change and then restart the Print Spooler service on your computer.

To do this, we recommend that you save your work, and then restart the computer to restart the Print Spooler service. If you don't want to restart the computer, try these steps instead.

 To change or restart the Print Spooler service

 You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1.  Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Administrative Tools.

2.  Double-click Services.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.  Right-click the Print Spooler service, and then click Properties.

4.  On the General tab, next to Startup type, make sure that Automatic is selected.

5.  If the service is not already running, under Service status, click Start, and then click OK.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.


James Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-06-03T18:04:43+00:00

    Same problem, different laptop. HELP!! I'm tired of this same problem over and over again. Will Windows allow me to go back to XP. This windows 7 sucks and has made my life harder, not easier. I've restarted the print spooler 50+ times and it still won't print.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-04-28T20:54:53+00:00

    Hi, same prob, same HP 1018, this only happens on a BMO PDF sheet. When I try to print the spooler turn off, when i turn it back on, it will again turn off,   repeatedly.  other pdf forms work without incident.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-04-26T21:08:59+00:00

    I have tried this and much more but still cannot use either of my printers.  I have spent hours with Asus and with HP and have employed every suggestion I can find on the internet.  I have a new PC that functions perfectly except that I can't use my printers and that's what I do for a living.  Because there is clearly a compatibility issue with Windows 7 and the HP 6500 A Plus printer and the Epson 3800 printer or a spooling problem with Windows 7 I am very close returning the computer to the seller.  Help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-04-09T03:15:15+00:00

    I'm having the same problem - but this time it is in VISTA.  Restarting spooler is not working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments