How do I change folder and file Permissions?

Anonymous
2009-09-23T15:44:33+00:00

I am trying to delete a folder on my computer and am getting a message box saying I need permission to do this.

Why is this, and how do I change it?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-09-23T15:52:40+00:00

Folder and file permissions

 Here are the steps to modify ownership and permissions of folders and files:

  1.       Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

  2.       Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

  3.       Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

 ·         To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click Other users and groupsand, in Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

  ·         To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.

  4.       If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on sub containers and objects check box.

  5.       Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you clickYes*.*

Notefolder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

  6.       Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

Additional considerations

   ·         An administrator can take ownership of any file on the computer.

   ·         Assigning ownership of a file or a folder might require you to elevate your permissions using User Access Control.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-10T00:53:31+00:00

Hi,

The below also works on 32 and 64 bit Vista

Download - SAVE - go to where you put it - Right Click on - RUN AS ADMIN

FileAssassin - Free

http://www.malwarebytes.org/fileassassin.php

Force Delete (Cannot Delete) Locked or In Used Files or Folders with FileASSASSIN

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/12/27/force-delete-cannot-delete-locked-or-in-used-files-or-folders-with-fileassassin/

Download - SAVE - go to where you put it - Right Click on - RUN AS ADMIN

And this - MoveOnBoot

MoveOnBoot

http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

Hope this helps.


Rob - Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2011-09-14T23:40:42+00:00

    Folks, I too was pulling my hair out over ownership and permissions by trawling many forums and trying all sorts of simple and complicated suggestions.  None worked.

    In the end the simplest of all worked for me, i.e. I briefly changed my user name, then back again. My machine has Win 7 Home, 64-bit.

    1  Click on start in Win 7 and type 'Make changes to user accounts'

    2  Under 'Choose the account you would like to change' click the account name you are going to change, probably your own name.

    3  Click on 'Change the account name', and change your account name to something like 'User', and  . . .

    4  Click on 'Change name.'

    Then repeat steps 3 and 4, but this time type your original account name.

    You're done.

    Another work-around that might work is to copy your files to an external drive, then back again. I had to do this until finding the above solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-10-25T23:45:10+00:00

    I also have been driven up the wall, trying to follow instructions given on many, many sites re. changing permissions, whatever, with no joy - couldn't believe, for all my effort was just getting thoroughly confused and more frustrated.

    Nothing was working - I just wasn't able to get the required permission to delete a folder; that was preventing me from installing a downloaded program.  Don't know why, but obviously something very wrong - and I'm sure of my own making.

    Thanks SpiritX.

    I had tried Unlocker earlier, with no joy - but FileAssasin did it.

    I know you suggested 'run as admin' - nooo way.  I'm now petrified of run as admin, or anything else of that ilk.

    I dragged the folder from Programs onto desktop.  Right clicked on folder, let FileAssasin do it's stuff.  Rebooted - what!  It was still there.  But, for no particular reason, right clicked on the folder - and, aaand, was able to delete it.  There it was in recycle bin.

    Apart from one or two other things, couldn't believe could be so happy.

    Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments