How to get "My Recent Documents" in Windows 7

Anonymous
2010-07-07T00:54:16+00:00

Original title: My Recent Documents

I NEED  "my recent docs". I purchased Win7Pro because I asumed it was created with professionals in mind. People who rely on their computer for their livelyhood rely on "my recent docs" for a million things.

The "Recent Items" function does not seem able to locate any but the last version. When an earlier version is shown in he jump folder, Windows can't find it.  I need to know what I did yesterday, last week, and in 2002. XP does that, (pro and home b.t.w.).

Please tell me there is a setting some place that I just haven't found.  Everyone in my field  relies heavilly on "my recent Docs".  I can't believe it is gone.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-13T08:42:34+00:00

Here is how I got it back:

  1. Right click the Start/Win button, select Properties
  2. Click the Start Menu tab (it should be select as default)
  3. Click the Customize button
  4. Scroll down and check the Recent Items check box
  5. Click Ok
  6. Click Apply
  7. Click Ok

You should now have a "Recent" option in the start menu.

This is one of the nice things about Microsoft—backward compatibility :P

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-07T20:42:33+00:00

Hi carzonthehill,

My Recent Documents is removed from the Start menu in Windows 7. Windows 7 categorizes recent items by the program used to open them, and each program on the Start menu or the taskbar has a Jump List of recently opened documents, websites, or files.

This feature is by design in Windows 7.

Additionally, restoring the “Recent items” into the File Save & Open dialogue box doesn’t seem to be feasible.

You can open recent items from a Jump List in one click, or pin favorite items to the top of each list. For more information, see Using Jump Lists to open programs and items. 

However, if you wish to have the feature reinstated in Windows 7, you may leave your feedback/suggestion at the Windows 7 Feedback and Microsoft Connect  site.

Hope this information helps.


Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-20T08:26:15+00:00

    The features of jump list is what I want to, but the problem is the jump list feature has no action for my word and excel, but it is OK with the power point. How can I fix this problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-24T16:58:04+00:00

    Lisa makes a good point. Unfortunately for some (like moi) the start list can be clumsy in that it can have too many programs in it for the busy professional. A simple Recent Docs folder would give a single stop for quick reference over the sweep of programs one uses. I used it religiously! At least make it an option for users. Simple fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-03-19T18:53:28+00:00

    After checking the box for "RECENT ITEMS", if you want to see recent items in a Windows Explorer folder--and in far greater number with more information, such as date modified: 

    1. Go back to the START menu
    2. Right-click on RECENT ITEMS
    3. Select OPEN
    4. Using the path bar at the top of the Explorer window, click on the folder just before RECENT ITEMS, which should be WINDOWS (entire path should be something like \Computer\WIndows7_OS(C:)\Users\Current User XX\App Data\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent Items)
    5. In the WINDOWS folder, you should see RECENT ITEMS with a designated icon
    6. Right-click on the RECENT ITEMS icon
    7. Select SEND TO
    8. Choose Desktop (Create Shortcut)
    9. Go to the Desktop and you should see your new shortcut to an Explorer folder with the icon for RECENT ITEMS.

    I don't know the max number that you can have in this folder at one time, but my folder currently displays 149 items of various document types.

    Cheers!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments