How can I get Chinese/Japanese characters to display properly instead of squares?

Anonymous
2009-11-25T18:51:47+00:00

I'm using Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and I have some songs in Chinese and Japanese.  In Windows Explorer, the characters would SOMETIMES show correctly and sometimes they would be blocks.  Whenever I use iTunes, they're always in blocks and in other programs (ex. synctoy 2.1 and google chrome). I've already installed the Chinese (Trad. and Simplified) and Japanese language packs but the file names still show up in blocks. I also restarted several times after installation of the languages to see if that fixed things but it didn't. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-03-16T00:54:57+00:00

Okay fine.... I stopped being lazy and found the solution by trial and error. So the trick is to change the system locale to Chinese (PRC) and then changing the system locale back to English (United States). I can now see the Simplified Chinese characters correctly in my buddyllist as well as in browser titles. I've attached a screenshot of the menus to get to the system locale. Basically go where you changed your input method and follow the screenshot below:

http://www.twitpic.com/18uhgc

This is a bug with the IME, I think, but nothing a few changes and reboots won't fix! Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-09-21T04:12:11+00:00

    Okay fine.... I stopped being lazy and found the solution by trial and error. So the trick is to change the system locale to Chinese (PRC) and then changing the system locale back to English (United States). I can now see the Simplified Chinese characters correctly in my buddyllist as well as in browser titles. I've attached a screenshot of the menus to get to the system locale. Basically go where you changed your input method and follow the screenshot below:

    http://www.twitpic.com/18uhgc

    This is a bug with the IME, I think, but nothing a few changes and reboots won't fix! Good luck!

    You have hit the nail on the head.

     just followed your instructions and not the languages display correctly.

    I changed the locale twice, once to Japanese(Since Japanese is what I wanted to see) and then to Chinese and finally back to English.

    Now all the files display like a charm.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-03-16T00:39:46+00:00

    I've noticed the same behavior. However, I am almost certain that it applies only to the Simplified Chinese character set. I've tried to go to google.com.hk and search with Traditional Chinese. The title shows the traditional characters just fine. However, when I go to google.cn and search in Simplified Chinese, I can see that the simplified characters are updated in the title as blocks. So I believe that the song titles or whatever you have that show up as blocks are simplified characters. Someone please verify this for me? So I think an update to the character set, maybe, could fix it? Microsoft? Ball is in your court! ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-03-01T07:25:50+00:00

    That's exactly my problem too. It'st not just limited to 64 bit too. It happens on my other laptop which is 32bit Ultimate.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-03-01T06:55:35+00:00

    For example, the page tabs in Google Chrome's browser simply display squares, so when I'm using Chinese websites, I can't navigate as easily...  And I can't save any of my files or media information in Chinese or Japanese.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments