How to disable the CHKDSK - Check Disk, on start up for Windows 7

Anonymous
2009-12-21T20:32:26+00:00

I been experiencing some problems, when i start my laptop i am prompted with a black screen saying

I haven't found any solutions on how to disable this on my computer, but i want to because after the seconds say 1, its stays on for a while ... and after i have left it on for a while, the screen sleeps, yet when i turn it on... The page is black.. Can someone help me disable the schedule checking for windows 7? Thank you very much! :D

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-22T19:18:01+00:00

Hi PikaBrian,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers!

To disable automatic disk checking at Windows startup through registry, go to the following registry key:

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

In the right hand pane, double click BootExecute.

The default value of the key is autocheck autochk *

* means every drive is checked for consistency. Just add /K:C at the end before *. /K switch will disable autocheck on C: drive at Windows startup. So the final value should look like this:

autocheck autochk /k:C *

If you want to add more drives, the key should look like this: (disabling C and D drives)

autocheck autochk /k:C /k:D *

If you want to restore everything to default, just replace the key with the default one i.e.

autocheck autochk *

You may also follow the link given below and check if it is of any help.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaperformance/thread/a8ab415b-4559-45c6-99a4-a54e27e5a836


Hope this information is helpful.

Amrita M

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-11-12T05:41:16+00:00

    Does anyone know how to do this on the "System Reserved" allocated space? CHKDSK keeps trying to scan it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-12-25T02:13:02+00:00

    I've gone like that on last time I've start my PC at December 25th, 2011 9:05AM ICT.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-01-13T12:37:58+00:00

    Do you know how to disable automatic disk checking on the "/device/..." allocated space? I get an error when CHKDSK runs.  I tried chkntfs /x c: d:  on C and D drives, but the problem remains every time I power up the computer.  My system is Windows 7 Professional. Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-04-06T00:23:22+00:00

    Can I get this in laymen terms, sorry you lost me at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager where is this suppose to go? I guess for a non geek, i need more step by step instruct.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments