How to restore Windows 7 default fonts.

Anonymous
2009-12-19T19:53:22+00:00

Okay, I hit a button on a font installer and installed about 10000 fonts. How do I restore the default fonts that were originally on 7?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-20T17:41:58+00:00

Hi EssenceWebsiteDesign,

You can restore the default font and remove any changes that you've made to your display settings from Appearance and Personalization.

Here’s how:

1.    Open Fonts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Fonts.

2.    In the left pane, click Font settings.

3.    Click Restore default font settings.

Note

This also removes all manual changes that you've made to your display settings.

I've listed couple of links that could be of assistance to you.

Change your font settings http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-your-font-settings

To install or delete any particular font:

**Install or delete fontshttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Install-or-delete-fonts**For answers to some common questions about fonts, check this link:

Fonts: frequently asked questionshttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Fonts-frequently-asked-questions


Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-01-27T12:42:35+00:00

    Hello all.

    I got what I think is the best soullution and it should also be supported by Microsoft.

    I did it on Windows 7 64.bit but it should work on the other OS also.

    /step by step

    1. Control Panel.
    2. Search Font/click Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Fonts.
    3. Open and view all fonts.
    4. Change viewing option to "deatails". (You can do this up in the right hand corner named as a flip down menu called "more options")
    5. Right click in the explorer window, just not on a file.
    6. Choose sort by -> more... -> and check the box affiliated with Date Modiefied and press OK. (NOT DATE CREATED).
    7. Now sort all the files with Date modiefied only.
    8. You can now see all the date and time of day something was created or modifeid.(becouse you can now date back to see when a set of fonts were createded by comparing name and date. Just be aware that if you installed something like photoshop on the same day that you installed the random fonts that you dont delete the Adobe fonts).
    9. SHIFT click the ones you dont want. Delete.

    Problem solved ! :D

    Good luck, hope it works as good fotr you as it did me.  !

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-02-09T02:24:05+00:00

    I have a different problem. I was stupid enough to install more than 20'000 fonts at once. it's impossible for me to use text now in photoshop, and even Word has a hard time loading them. but that actually works after a while. But the big problem is, when i go to "fonts" (to delete all these unneeded fonts), he doesn't even show me the fonts anymore! it's as if there's too many for him to process. He loads for a while and then simply says "0 fonts", with a blank page. I'm in deep trouble here. PLEASE HELP!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-02-27T06:27:38+00:00

    same problem here and microsoft support sux

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-07-11T12:24:52+00:00

    OK.. I got the solution. When I was checking Start>control panel> Fonts.. it took a lot of time to get 10000 fonts shown. Once those fonts appear on screen, try changing view to details. Either you can go by date last changed or by corporation which produced font. Keep all those have some legitimate corporation. others delete. and you are good to go.. (btw it takes huge time to delete 10000 fonts.. so just keep patience.. :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments