How to restore Windows 7 default fonts.

Anonymous
2009-12-19T19:53:22+00:00

Okay, I hit a button on a font installer and installed about 10000 fonts. How do I restore the default fonts that were originally on 7?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-20T17:41:58+00:00

Hi EssenceWebsiteDesign,

You can restore the default font and remove any changes that you've made to your display settings from Appearance and Personalization.

Here’s how:

1.    Open Fonts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Fonts.

2.    In the left pane, click Font settings.

3.    Click Restore default font settings.

Note

This also removes all manual changes that you've made to your display settings.

I've listed couple of links that could be of assistance to you.

Change your font settings http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-your-font-settings

To install or delete any particular font:

**Install or delete fontshttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Install-or-delete-fonts**For answers to some common questions about fonts, check this link:

Fonts: frequently asked questionshttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Fonts-frequently-asked-questions


Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-10-04T23:13:37+00:00

    I agree with you about the general answers from MS.  Where is a download of all the default fonts?????

    Ah, where is the troubleshooting guide???

    Poor support. 

    This Font problem has been posted on 100's of sites, with 100's of suggestions.  Most of them are the same suggestions over

    and over and over and....

    Ric

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-10-18T12:46:44+00:00
    1. Find your Win7 installation disk/.ISO, locate ".\sources\install.wim" and extract it to the hard disk.
    2. Use ImageX.exe to mount .wim image.

    Example:

    imagex /mountrw d:\imaging\install.wim 5 c:\mounted_images

    ... where (in my case) number "5" is image_number or *<IMAGE INDEX="5">*returned by command

    imagex /info d:\imaging\install.wim

    ... showing that it's "Windows 7 Ultimate". Choose  image_numberof Win7OS you need.

    1. Go to folder:

    C:\mounted_images\Windows\Fonts

    and copy all fonts to another location/folder. Buck it up, in case of emergency like this one.

    1. Unmount the mounted image.

    Example:

    imagex /unmount c:\mounted_images

    1. Delete "install.wim", because you don't need it anymore - original image is within installation disk/.ISO
    2. Done.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-10-29T02:09:50+00:00

    Hello here is my solution:

    You need:

    • Windows 7 installation iso or dvd
    • 7zip at 7-zip.org
    • Filezilla at filezilla-project.org

    Then:

    1. Locate \sources\install.wim in your W7 installation image or disk and open it with 7zip
    2. open directory "5" or "4"
    3. copy <fonts> folder under <windows> dir and backup it
    4. navigate your system folder using filezilla and delete all fonts on <Windows/fonts> (give access and omit if necessary)
    5. drag and drop the content of your fonts folder backup into <Windows/fonts> on filezilla.
    6. Done

    I'm agree Microsoft support sucks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-11-30T18:53:17+00:00

    I too had this problem when I installed too many fonts with a Photoshop bundle I bought. To fix it, I grabbed my laptop (which has Windows 7 on it too) and my external HD. I simply copied my Fonts folder from my laptop to my external HD. Then I deleted all fonts that the OS on my desktop would let me. Finally, I opened the Fonts folder on the external HD and selected them all, right-clicked and chose Install. Problem fixed.

    By the way, I tried to install PowerPoint Viewer 2007 and that DID NOT fix my problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments