How to restore Windows 7 default fonts.

Anonymous
2009-12-19T19:53:22+00:00

Okay, I hit a button on a font installer and installed about 10000 fonts. How do I restore the default fonts that were originally on 7?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-20T17:41:58+00:00

Hi EssenceWebsiteDesign,

You can restore the default font and remove any changes that you've made to your display settings from Appearance and Personalization.

Here’s how:

1.    Open Fonts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Fonts.

2.    In the left pane, click Font settings.

3.    Click Restore default font settings.

Note

This also removes all manual changes that you've made to your display settings.

I've listed couple of links that could be of assistance to you.

Change your font settings http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-your-font-settings

To install or delete any particular font:

**Install or delete fontshttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Install-or-delete-fonts**For answers to some common questions about fonts, check this link:

Fonts: frequently asked questionshttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Fonts-frequently-asked-questions


Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-09-22T15:12:47+00:00

    This solved my issue!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-09-22T15:10:43+00:00

    Well Done!  Thanks man!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-04T22:17:48+00:00

    On another question I found a link provided for removing all fonts except the preinstalled ones.

    Font Frenzy - Remove easily - Free  -  -  -  http://sdsoftware.org/default.asp?id=5936

    The link was posted as the helpful answer to: "recently i installed over 3,500 fonts and now i want to remove them and i don't know which of them are vista fonts and which are my own. can i download all vista supplied fonts? "

    Font Frenzy's Website says "Font Frenzy is compatible with Windows 7, but has not yet been fully tested. It is highly recommended to backup your system before use."

    Which is a given but I wanted to make sure I reiterated it for anyone doing this while under the influence of alcohol or prescription pain killers.

    Although if you want to manage fonts I'd recommend AMP Font Viewer after you restore your fonts & Uninstall Font Frenzy. AMP is a Maximum PC Recommended App . So you can link it through their site for security assurance.

    Font Frenzy did the job for me, Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-23T09:11:58+00:00

    Unfortunately Windows still does manage fonts not very well.

    I suggest to install / use a font manager like NexusFont. Programs like that makes it a lot easier to enable or disable fonts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments