NFS client for Windows 7

Anonymous
2010-02-03T18:56:58+00:00

I have upgraded from XP to Windows 7 Professional. I used Windows Services for Unix in XP but have been informed this is not available for Windows 7. I do not see a NFS Client in the Windows 7 Professional version. What options are there?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-06-06T17:31:23+00:00

Nope - this is wrong - it is only available as a non-installed component on Enterprise versions of Windows 7. As you can see from this screenshot is NOT available on Professional:

Please stop posting this incorrect information - Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-07T21:25:14+00:00

Hello all,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Answers Forum.

Click here for the link to download installing Utilities and SDK for Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications<!----><!--Published via DxPublisher.-->

Applies To: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2

This should be the link you were looking for.

Thanks,


Marilyn

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-05-18T14:50:01+00:00

    I believe that both of the answers provided above are incorrect as neither solution worked for me, and I'm looking for a solution as well.  Windows 7 Professional does not have UNIX services available (a requirement for the Utilities and SDK sent by Marilyn-Support Engineer) and does not have Services for NFS (as described by Geonk).

    The Client for NFS is NOT built into Windows 7 Professional, so both the original poster and I are looking for a way to connect to the NFS share on our servers.  Is there a way to do this with Windows 7 Professional?  Does this mean that I have to spend another $300+ to get NFS?

    kvn290

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-05-12T21:45:36+00:00

    I see that you were given the link to the SUA SDK for Windows 7.  As for Client for NFS, that IS built in to Windows 7, it's just not installed by default.

    In order to activate the Client for NFS, go into the Control Panel, and go to "Programs and Features".  In the left hand column, you'll see a link for "Turn Windows features on or off".

    Select that, and it will open a list box that shows all of the optional components built in to Windows 7.  Some are already activated.  Expand the entry for "Services for NFS".  There are two check boxes under that.  Check them and hit OK.  Windows will install those components and ask to reboot your system.  Once you have rebooted, Client for NFS will be installed.

    To use it, go to Administrative Tools->Services for NFS to configure it.  Alternatively, you can use the command line program 'nfsadmin' to configure.

    Hope this helps!

    -geo

    EDIT: I realized that I wasn't as clear as I should have been...

    In the Windows Features list box, find the one labeled "Services for NFS".  Click the "+" box to display the two sub-features, "Administrative Tools" and "Client for NFS".  Check all three boxes and then click "OK".

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-03-23T18:20:09+00:00

    Sorry starnet,

    Here is the correct link.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=dc03485b-629b-49a6-b5ef-18617d1a9804&displaylang=en

    Thanks,


    Marilyn

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments