NFS client for Windows 7

Anonymous
2010-02-03T18:56:58+00:00

I have upgraded from XP to Windows 7 Professional. I used Windows Services for Unix in XP but have been informed this is not available for Windows 7. I do not see a NFS Client in the Windows 7 Professional version. What options are there?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-06-06T17:31:23+00:00

Nope - this is wrong - it is only available as a non-installed component on Enterprise versions of Windows 7. As you can see from this screenshot is NOT available on Professional:

Please stop posting this incorrect information - Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-07T21:25:14+00:00

Hello all,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Answers Forum.

Click here for the link to download installing Utilities and SDK for Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications<!----><!--Published via DxPublisher.-->

Applies To: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2

This should be the link you were looking for.

Thanks,


Marilyn

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-03-27T13:12:41+00:00

    As Geonk stated above:

    |As for Client for NFS, that IS built in to Windows 7, it's just notinstalled by default.

    In order to activate the Client for NFS, go into the Control Panel, and go to "Programs and Features". In the left hand column, you'll see a link for "Turn Windows features on or off".

    Select that, and it will open a list box that shows all of the optional components built in to Windows 7. Some are already activated. Expand the entry for "Services for NFS". There are two check boxes under that. Check them and hit OK. Windows will install those components and ask to reboot your system. Once you have rebooted, Client for NFS will be installed.

    To use it, go to Administrative Tools->Services for NFS to configure it. Alternatively, you can use the command line program 'nfsadmin' to configure.

    Thanks,

    Marilyn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-03-27T09:09:15+00:00

    I need the answer!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-23T17:27:15+00:00

    I have the same problem.  I've upgraded to Win7 Professional.  I was disappointed to find that NFS client services is not included in that release. I need to connect to Unix server running SCO Openserver 5.0.4.

    I have used XLINK's Omni-NFS forever (Win, Me, XP). Wasn't sure if it would work on Win7, but it did.  It's not pretty, but it definitely works. I use version 4.13.  It's a bit cheaper than going to Ultimate.  Hope this helps...

    It can be downloaded from Cnet:

    http://download.cnet.com/Omni-NFS/3000-2085_4-10052498.html?tag=mncol

    jsp

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments