How to fix - error code 80073712 - windows component store is corrupt - after successfuly installing system update readiness tool for windows vista.

Anonymous
2010-01-26T15:18:40+00:00

I keep getting the error code 80073712 - windows component store is corrupt - when trying to install windows vista SP1 and also the Cumulative Security update for Explorer 7 (KB978207). Fails every time.

I folowed the advice and installed the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (did this twice) but still cannot download and install the updates - get error 80073712.

How can I fix the corrupt windows component store ?

thanks,

Dan

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-15T13:43:33+00:00

CMDC,

    If the SFC was not able to repair files then the best thing to do is to reinstall Windows.  You can try running a Disk Error Check, if it corrects any problems then run the SFC again and then install and run the System Update Readiness Tool.  If there is still an issue with the SFC nto being able to complete then you should do a reinstall. 


Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-24T04:47:11+00:00

    hey mohemmad raieed i ran the command sfc/scannow and it says "windows resource protection could not preform the requested operation" please help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-10T14:07:29+00:00

    I did what it was requested and I found out that after running as an administrator and at c:\ prompt I type : sfc /scannow and I press the key enter and this is the message I got:  "*Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation" .*Then I try something else> I type: sfc/ verfyfile=c:\windows\system32\kernel132.dll and I got the same message: "*Windows Resource Protection could not perform the request operation"*In other words, no matter what I do or I try, I'm getting same message. Is there a way to bypass this message and see if I can have my Operating System Check?. Your assistance in this matter will be most appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-10T18:37:27+00:00

    Yes, I must agree with you 100%. I paid Microsoft $149 a year for services. At the end I had no choice to claimed a refund because of two reasons: 1) Microsoft still users third party software manufactures to solve their own problems and their are not solved, and 2) Those Engineers that are on line to solve your problems are not able to do it. This has been one of the greatest scams in history. It's a shame.

    On the other hand I must say that there Windows has some good programs worht to buy. But I will never ever I will buy any operating system with the word of Microsoft on it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-04-10T19:11:56+00:00

    My guess is that your file system is too corrupted to allow a system file check.  Have you tried a Check Disk command? Reimage offers a free scan of your system , but you have to pay to have the errors corrected by the Reimage software.

    PS I would try too sfc /scannow while in the safe mode:  Restart and continually hit the F8 key until Windows starts in the safe mode. Then try running the sfc command as administrator.  Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments