How to fix - error code 80073712 - windows component store is corrupt - after successfuly installing system update readiness tool for windows vista.

Anonymous
2010-01-26T15:18:40+00:00

I keep getting the error code 80073712 - windows component store is corrupt - when trying to install windows vista SP1 and also the Cumulative Security update for Explorer 7 (KB978207). Fails every time.

I folowed the advice and installed the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (did this twice) but still cannot download and install the updates - get error 80073712.

How can I fix the corrupt windows component store ?

thanks,

Dan

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-15T13:43:33+00:00

CMDC,

    If the SFC was not able to repair files then the best thing to do is to reinstall Windows.  You can try running a Disk Error Check, if it corrects any problems then run the SFC again and then install and run the System Update Readiness Tool.  If there is still an issue with the SFC nto being able to complete then you should do a reinstall. 


Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-06-23T22:55:32+00:00

    I recieved the following after performing the steps you mentions above, please tell me how to fix this.

    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

    Details are included inthe CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.  For example C:Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS\log

    I did this process because I keep getting the error code 80073712 when trying to install an important update.  Please help!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-09-09T19:43:12+00:00

    I did

    To run the System File Checker, complete these steps:

    1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    2. In the results area, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator. You will be prompted to type the password for an administrator account. Click Continue if you are the administrator or type the administrator password. Then, click Continue.
    3. At the command prompt, type Sfc /scannow, and then press ENTER.

    I got

    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

    ____________________________________________________________________________

    But im still not able to install windows update code 80073712 or KB2559049 for windows 7 for x64-based systems, CUMULATIVE SECURITY UPDATE FOR INTERNET EXPLORER 9 FOR WINDOWS 7 FOR X64-BASED SYSTEMS (KB2559049).

    need help thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-15T05:46:31+00:00

    After trying everything for 3 years to solve the vista 80073712  errors I tried a remote access program called reimage. Within an hour the problem was solved.

    Later I encountered another problem that couldn't be resolved so I did an upgrade to win 7 with a clean install. Perfect!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-07-09T01:29:16+00:00

    How am I supposed to reinstal Windows when the only discs that came wih my computer are for hardware (mouse, printer, moniter) and other software, such as Encarta, Microsoft money, microsoft works,  etc.  NO discs were provided in the packaging for the already installed Microsoft Vista.  I took it to a repair shop about a year ago and was told they could only reinstall if I have the discs.

    I have had this failure for years and now, I cannot update internet explorer because everything says that it is not compatable or needed for my vista, and yet the update repeatedly fails.  Many things on the web are discontinuing Explorer 7 compatability.  I would love to ge tthis resolved.  I don't feel I should have to purchase a new computer to do so and, quite frankly, I can't afford to at this time.

    HELP!

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments