How to fix - error code 80073712 - windows component store is corrupt - after successfuly installing system update readiness tool for windows vista.

Anonymous
2010-01-26T15:18:40+00:00

I keep getting the error code 80073712 - windows component store is corrupt - when trying to install windows vista SP1 and also the Cumulative Security update for Explorer 7 (KB978207). Fails every time.

I folowed the advice and installed the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (did this twice) but still cannot download and install the updates - get error 80073712.

How can I fix the corrupt windows component store ?

thanks,

Dan

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-15T13:43:33+00:00

CMDC,

    If the SFC was not able to repair files then the best thing to do is to reinstall Windows.  You can try running a Disk Error Check, if it corrects any problems then run the SFC again and then install and run the System Update Readiness Tool.  If there is still an issue with the SFC nto being able to complete then you should do a reinstall. 


Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-12-04T20:50:07+00:00

    Hello: This is exactly the type of response that gives MS a poor reputation.  In order to fix something , that is fixable by MS, the advice is to go elsewhere for help. This problem w/ Win 7 (error code 80073712) updates is at least 2 years old.  It has been corrected in Win 8 (or at least a utility is available from MS as a repair tool). Meantime the unfortunate  Win 7 users are stuck w/ reinstalling the OS as a "cure" or fix . The re-install/upgrade method does not work all the time! In my case  for example, a reinstall from a Win7 w/ SP1 ios disc (available from MS as a download) appears to work up to the point where the "features"  section is to be added (the first 4 installation steps are successful) and then the installations fails, with no recourse as the installation now reverts to the original corrupted version of Win7.  The addition of SP in the early stages of Win7 appears to be (at least partially) responsible for this problem.  Again in my case I cannot uninstall the SP1 from Win7.  A real mess.  No one will read this comment as the last reply is about 6 months old, but I thought I'd vent a little bit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-10T19:45:17+00:00

    Hi TerriLane49,

    So are you having the same exact issue as the original poster?

    What is the make/model of your computer?

    If you need restore disks and your system came preinstalled with Vista, you may have a recovery partition already on your machine, or you can go back to your Equipment Manufacturer to request the actual restore disks.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-09T01:29:16+00:00

    How am I supposed to reinstal Windows when the only discs that came wih my computer are for hardware (mouse, printer, moniter) and other software, such as Encarta, Microsoft money, microsoft works,  etc.  NO discs were provided in the packaging for the already installed Microsoft Vista.  I took it to a repair shop about a year ago and was told they could only reinstall if I have the discs.

    I have had this failure for years and now, I cannot update internet explorer because everything says that it is not compatable or needed for my vista, and yet the update repeatedly fails.  Many things on the web are discontinuing Explorer 7 compatability.  I would love to ge tthis resolved.  I don't feel I should have to purchase a new computer to do so and, quite frankly, I can't afford to at this time.

    HELP!

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-11-15T05:46:31+00:00

    After trying everything for 3 years to solve the vista 80073712  errors I tried a remote access program called reimage. Within an hour the problem was solved.

    Later I encountered another problem that couldn't be resolved so I did an upgrade to win 7 with a clean install. Perfect!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments