How to fix - error code 80073712 - windows component store is corrupt - after successfuly installing system update readiness tool for windows vista.

Anonymous
2010-01-26T15:18:40+00:00

I keep getting the error code 80073712 - windows component store is corrupt - when trying to install windows vista SP1 and also the Cumulative Security update for Explorer 7 (KB978207). Fails every time.

I folowed the advice and installed the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (did this twice) but still cannot download and install the updates - get error 80073712.

How can I fix the corrupt windows component store ?

thanks,

Dan

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-15T13:43:33+00:00

CMDC,

    If the SFC was not able to repair files then the best thing to do is to reinstall Windows.  You can try running a Disk Error Check, if it corrects any problems then run the SFC again and then install and run the System Update Readiness Tool.  If there is still an issue with the SFC nto being able to complete then you should do a reinstall. 


Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-23T13:33:15+00:00

    I expect MS will provide a hotfix instead of requesting the customers to reinstall the OS by the installation disk.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-23T01:28:45+00:00

    I expect MS will provide a hotfix instead of requesting the customers to reinstall the OS by the installation disk.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-18T14:12:07+00:00

    Hello:  Sounds as if the error(s) is/are  fixed.  I would run a disk check to be sure that the hard drive is OK and free of errors. Type in "disk check" in to the search box (for win7) and carry out the disk check command.  You can also get to this via the computer icon on the desktop (I'm pretty sure), under properties for the "C" drive. I'm just a novice at this so it would be nice if one of the experts from MS were able  to offer some useful advice.  Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-18T10:51:36+00:00

    hi, i've follow your step. When i do disk error check, the computer said "No Errors were found".

    Next step, i'm try to use sfc.exe to find error disk. There's nothing change.

    Third step, using command prompt (CMD as Administrator),  it say "windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations."

    What i need to do next ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments