How to fix - error code 80073712 - windows component store is corrupt - after successfuly installing system update readiness tool for windows vista.

Anonymous
2010-01-26T15:18:40+00:00

I keep getting the error code 80073712 - windows component store is corrupt - when trying to install windows vista SP1 and also the Cumulative Security update for Explorer 7 (KB978207). Fails every time.

I folowed the advice and installed the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (did this twice) but still cannot download and install the updates - get error 80073712.

How can I fix the corrupt windows component store ?

thanks,

Dan

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-15T13:43:33+00:00

CMDC,

    If the SFC was not able to repair files then the best thing to do is to reinstall Windows.  You can try running a Disk Error Check, if it corrects any problems then run the SFC again and then install and run the System Update Readiness Tool.  If there is still an issue with the SFC nto being able to complete then you should do a reinstall. 


Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-10T14:07:29+00:00

    I did what it was requested and I found out that after running as an administrator and at c:\ prompt I type : sfc /scannow and I press the key enter and this is the message I got:  "*Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation" .*Then I try something else> I type: sfc/ verfyfile=c:\windows\system32\kernel132.dll and I got the same message: "*Windows Resource Protection could not perform the request operation"*In other words, no matter what I do or I try, I'm getting same message. Is there a way to bypass this message and see if I can have my Operating System Check?. Your assistance in this matter will be most appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-24T04:47:11+00:00

    hey mohemmad raieed i ran the command sfc/scannow and it says "windows resource protection could not preform the requested operation" please help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-24T04:41:41+00:00

    hey mike, i ran the command sfc/scannow and its says "windows resource protection could not preform the requested operation" please  help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-23T20:17:23+00:00

    Thank you, Mohammed Raieed.  Your explanation & directions were very well said.  The SFC, when it finally completed, stated that there were no issues w/ the system files (or something to that affect).

    I am following through w/ the steps you suggested.

    Thanks again.

    Howard.

    (******@hotmail.com)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments