How to fix - error code 80073712 - windows component store is corrupt - after successfuly installing system update readiness tool for windows vista.

Anonymous
2010-01-26T15:18:40+00:00

I keep getting the error code 80073712 - windows component store is corrupt - when trying to install windows vista SP1 and also the Cumulative Security update for Explorer 7 (KB978207). Fails every time.

I folowed the advice and installed the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (did this twice) but still cannot download and install the updates - get error 80073712.

How can I fix the corrupt windows component store ?

thanks,

Dan

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-15T13:43:33+00:00

CMDC,

    If the SFC was not able to repair files then the best thing to do is to reinstall Windows.  You can try running a Disk Error Check, if it corrects any problems then run the SFC again and then install and run the System Update Readiness Tool.  If there is still an issue with the SFC nto being able to complete then you should do a reinstall. 


Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2016-10-08T13:28:43+00:00

    Found a solution, but it is risky. I accept no responsibility for damages incurred for those who are willing to give this a go. While working on hardware programming, I upgraded BIOS, downloaded the update from MOBO manufacturer's website. The chip states version p1.0 (I have no UEFA partition and won't be re-installing Win 10). The program for Instant Flash failed to show in the BIOS config(F2/Del at POST), however the Win 10 BIOS update did work. First problem I encountered was a bad checksum result, boot failed as a result, so I tweaked the BIOS config which got rid of the problem. Haven't heard a single whistle since.

    I tried the solution suggested and no errors were detected(SFC utility). The symptom was having to manually switch off and restart the system at every startup- Yes, this was extremely frustrating. DebbieH, maybe it is the BIOS update- not sure about your result or how well it worked...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-05T02:15:43+00:00

    I responded to one of your other LAME answers in this thread previously.

    My attempts to fix that which Microsoft has broken, have been going on intermittently for a year now, and intensively for over a week.

    I will NOT re-install Windoze, and judging by 9 out of 177 finding your answer helpful, nor would most other users.

    The community needs and deserves a method for fixing Windoze update - re-installing and repairing only those components, without disturbing an otherwise finely tuned and functioning system.

    If I can't trust Microsoft to do that, why should I trust malware like Windoze 8 or 10?

    Microsoft's efforts to strongarm users off of reliable OS versions by failing to support them will not cause more upgrades, it will cause more to look elsewhere for a robust OS.

    Again, do your job - tell us which MS tool can actually fix Windoze update for this error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-06-02T17:11:28+00:00

    Here is how I solved this issue.    Why this is the solution ??

    Open Internet Explorer, click on Tools, Internet Options.  Then click on the Advanced Tab and scroll until you see the Security section.    Find the option " Do not save encrypted pages to disk " and be sure it is UNCHECKED.   It seems that the Windows Store must try to Save encrypted pages to disk and that IE settings control allowing or not allowing.     By the way this fixes the issue for Win 8, 8.1 and 10 too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments