How to fix - error code 80073712 - windows component store is corrupt - after successfuly installing system update readiness tool for windows vista.

Anonymous
2010-01-26T15:18:40+00:00

I keep getting the error code 80073712 - windows component store is corrupt - when trying to install windows vista SP1 and also the Cumulative Security update for Explorer 7 (KB978207). Fails every time.

I folowed the advice and installed the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (did this twice) but still cannot download and install the updates - get error 80073712.

How can I fix the corrupt windows component store ?

thanks,

Dan

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-15T13:43:33+00:00

CMDC,

    If the SFC was not able to repair files then the best thing to do is to reinstall Windows.  You can try running a Disk Error Check, if it corrects any problems then run the SFC again and then install and run the System Update Readiness Tool.  If there is still an issue with the SFC nto being able to complete then you should do a reinstall. 


Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-16T12:16:53+00:00

    It's a crying shame that we have to put up with criminals on the internet.  What a world.  The government should treat these internet crimes as they do any other on the street.  Its still crime and it still hurts people.  I wouldnt be surprised if its a gimmick to get us to spend so much money on anti viruses for everything.  All these programs pay tax.  Tax tax tax soooooooooooooooooo much tax.  My goodness.        I cant get my computer to accept the updates either, so dang infuriating, and we are stuck with trying to handle their messed up updates.  I do believe Microsoft should cancel the updates and have new ones made.  Id like to know what exactly caused the Windows component store to become corrupt.  very fishy!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-25T03:06:38+00:00

    tried method 4 - refresh / upgrade the OS using the installation DVD, the fix successfully updated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-23T13:33:15+00:00

    I expect MS will provide a hotfix instead of requesting the customers to reinstall the OS by the installation disk.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-23T01:28:45+00:00

    I expect MS will provide a hotfix instead of requesting the customers to reinstall the OS by the installation disk.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments