How to fix - error code 80073712 - windows component store is corrupt - after successfuly installing system update readiness tool for windows vista.

Anonymous
2010-01-26T15:18:40+00:00

I keep getting the error code 80073712 - windows component store is corrupt - when trying to install windows vista SP1 and also the Cumulative Security update for Explorer 7 (KB978207). Fails every time.

I folowed the advice and installed the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (did this twice) but still cannot download and install the updates - get error 80073712.

How can I fix the corrupt windows component store ?

thanks,

Dan

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-15T13:43:33+00:00

CMDC,

    If the SFC was not able to repair files then the best thing to do is to reinstall Windows.  You can try running a Disk Error Check, if it corrects any problems then run the SFC again and then install and run the System Update Readiness Tool.  If there is still an issue with the SFC nto being able to complete then you should do a reinstall. 


Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-11T14:32:21+00:00

    Try the KB947821 if you haven't done so. If it is inappropriate for your system it won't download.  .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-11T01:30:30+00:00

    Hello,

    I did the kb957310 4 methods, the first 3 performed successfully but it didn't solve the problem. The 4th one, it failed because it said my current OS is newer than the reinstall one, so it didn't allow me to do so. In short, 4 methods performed but didn't solve the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-06T16:15:39+00:00

    Hello and thanks for the update about the updates! I stumbled across an update of the "System Readiness Tool" (KB947821 ~147 MB dated Feb. 2013) which seems to fix this problem. There are several versions of this download so if you decide to try it, make sure you get the latest version. It did take about 8 minutes to download and about 30 minutes to run - apparently the length of time is a function of the degree of corruption and the nature of the command being replaced.  As far as I can tell there has been no formal announcement from MS as a "fix" for this error.  But it seems to work for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-04T11:40:49+00:00

    Microsoft has had an update fix for this issue out and here's their official fix for it. BOTH Windows 7 and Windows 8 versions of the fix are listed there so make sure you double check you are performing the correct one.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957310

    and it has multiple methods of fixing this, including methods if the system file checker fails etc.

    I just saw this trying to repair my dad's laptop and saw your frustration in lack of responses from microsoft. As this shows up near the top of the list of searches in a few search engines, I figured I'd post my findings for whoever else see's this.

    80073712 is a really annoying error.

    I hope this helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments