Mouse settings not saved after reboot/restart

Anonymous
2008-12-29T04:56:46+00:00

I am changing the speed at which my mouse pointer moves across the screen.  I am 'applying' the change then selecting 'ok'.   The mouse point then moves faster as set.  Then after restarting/rebooting the computer, the mouse setting is back to the default slower movement speed.   The changes are not saved after the reboot.   What is preventing the mouse movement speed change from being saved?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-01-01T05:47:50+00:00

Mr. Brian,

  Please try the following steps.  Doing this should allow you to keep all the settings in the SetPoint software while at the same time resolving your issue.

   1. Click the Start orb, type msconfig in the Start Search box and hit Enter     If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue 2. Within the System Configuration dialogue box, click the Startup tab

   3. Look for any entries named KHALMNPR or similar, and uncheck the box next to them (there may only be one)

   4. Click OK and restart your computer

   5.  After the restart, change your mouse pointer speed and restart

This should resolve your issue.  Please let us know.  Thank you.


Shane

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-04-04T23:48:11+00:00

    Brian,

    I would like to try the solution you posted above, but I do not know what a "start orb" is.  I just got a Windows 7 lap top this week and I am just trying to learn to use it.  I am having several problems with my start  up settings.  I have several disabilities and it is making my computer very hard to use.  I use an external adaptive keyboard that has numbers on some of the letter keys in case you do not also use a number pad, but every time I turn on my computer it starts with the num lock on, so it messes up when I type my password.  I use an external Evoluent vertical mouse.  It is not using all the fancy button settings, which is good for me, I do not like those.  However, I have limited motor control and it is very hard for me to get the mouse pointer in the right spot until I set it on a very slow setting.  However, that is hard to do when it is not already on a very slow setting.  My eyes are also not so great.  My IT guy set it on a larger font size, but it keeps going back to small fonts.  I can hardly see what I am typing right now.  I can only see my IT guy on Saturdays.  I hope you can help me before that.  Will I get an e-mail when you send me the information I need to fix these things?  Can you post your answer in a large font?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-06-07T04:45:20+00:00

    Shane,

    I have a similar problem.  I created a custom mouse pointer scheme in Windows Vista Home Premium, and then clicked APPLY and OK to exit the personalization.  I then had the custom mouse scheme up and running fine.  However, whenever I restart my computer the older system scheme is always in place, and I have to manually go and change it again.  Is there a way to save my custom scheme so it will be there whenever I restart my computer?  Will the above method help?

    Thanks,

    Jack

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-01-01T21:16:31+00:00

    That worked.  Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-01-01T04:48:28+00:00

    I have a laptop with a Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad V7.0.   Synaptics driver V10.1.7.0

    Also using a Logitech USB mouse with Logitech SetPoint software/driver v4.70.213

    Settings are not saved when using either the touch pad or the mouse.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments