Mouse settings not saved after reboot/restart

Anonymous
2008-12-29T04:56:46+00:00

I am changing the speed at which my mouse pointer moves across the screen.  I am 'applying' the change then selecting 'ok'.   The mouse point then moves faster as set.  Then after restarting/rebooting the computer, the mouse setting is back to the default slower movement speed.   The changes are not saved after the reboot.   What is preventing the mouse movement speed change from being saved?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-01-01T05:47:50+00:00

Mr. Brian,

  Please try the following steps.  Doing this should allow you to keep all the settings in the SetPoint software while at the same time resolving your issue.

   1. Click the Start orb, type msconfig in the Start Search box and hit Enter     If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue 2. Within the System Configuration dialogue box, click the Startup tab

   3. Look for any entries named KHALMNPR or similar, and uncheck the box next to them (there may only be one)

   4. Click OK and restart your computer

   5.  After the restart, change your mouse pointer speed and restart

This should resolve your issue.  Please let us know.  Thank you.


Shane

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-05T13:54:17+00:00

    There are no references to either "WMPNSCFG" or "KHALMNPR".

    I am using Windows 10 and would like a prompt answer, it is rather irritating being forced to re-do everything once I have rebooted.

    I have searched both in MSCONFIG and even re-installed drivers, besides that I have even searched for these terms in REGEDIT and could not find it. This is not a technical issue but is definitely a Windows Issue.

    I should not have gone for the "beehive" upgrade to Windows 10, seems like it was even more of a can of worms than even the unwelcome changes seen in Windows 8, but enough about that.

    Please provide script/patch/registry entry to force save mouse settings.

    Kind Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-31T20:10:32+00:00

    I did not have an entry named KHALMNPRor anything similar. This still has not solved the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-25T06:59:56+00:00

    This method doesn't work for me.

    As per your instructions, I will provide screenshots.

    As you can see, I am seeing no entries here. Only to open the Task Manager, which already throws these instructions off completely.

    Task Manager doesn't show any true entry in the Startup tab. So the rest of these instructions are completely false.

    Please advise.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-08-18T10:05:40+00:00

    Same problem here in Windows 10. Please help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments