Mouse settings not saved after reboot/restart

Anonymous
2008-12-29T04:56:46+00:00

I am changing the speed at which my mouse pointer moves across the screen.  I am 'applying' the change then selecting 'ok'.   The mouse point then moves faster as set.  Then after restarting/rebooting the computer, the mouse setting is back to the default slower movement speed.   The changes are not saved after the reboot.   What is preventing the mouse movement speed change from being saved?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-01-01T05:47:50+00:00

Mr. Brian,

  Please try the following steps.  Doing this should allow you to keep all the settings in the SetPoint software while at the same time resolving your issue.

   1. Click the Start orb, type msconfig in the Start Search box and hit Enter     If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue 2. Within the System Configuration dialogue box, click the Startup tab

   3. Look for any entries named KHALMNPR or similar, and uncheck the box next to them (there may only be one)

   4. Click OK and restart your computer

   5.  After the restart, change your mouse pointer speed and restart

This should resolve your issue.  Please let us know.  Thank you.


Shane

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-08-16T01:22:37+00:00

    Okay guys.

    While the mention of "Start Orb"[?] is rather cryptic,  the intended meaning is to run "MSCONFIG " from the "RUN" option in the Startup menu.  Likewise it can be executed from thecommand line .

    That said, widen your search parameters to include any MULTIPLE mouse drivers or software that appear in the StartUP tab.

    This is a very common problem with Notebook computers as they invariably include a driver such as "Synaptics" for the touchpad.  If you are more apt to use a mouse rather than the built-in touchpad, this driver needs to "go"; if you want to be able to save your "Sensitivity" and "Precision" settings through reboots.  Your touchpad will still continue to function without the Synaptics driver, but enhanced or special touchpad features will not be supported.  For the purposes of this discussion, 'Synaptics' in the presence of a standard Microsoft HID mouse driver construes as using multiple mouse drivers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-04-27T13:38:31+00:00

    I have the same problem.  Tried your 2 alternatives but  did not work.   Settings continued to change back to default after reboot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-04-20T20:39:31+00:00

    I had the same issue, changing my mouse appearance/settings and they do not remain the same through a restart.  Vista had the same issue, one I had prayed would be fixed on the much-heralded Windows 7.  I tried your solution but no such code (or similar) exists.  Any other solutions to offer?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-04-04T23:48:11+00:00

    Brian,

    I would like to try the solution you posted above, but I do not know what a "start orb" is.  I just got a Windows 7 lap top this week and I am just trying to learn to use it.  I am having several problems with my start  up settings.  I have several disabilities and it is making my computer very hard to use.  I use an external adaptive keyboard that has numbers on some of the letter keys in case you do not also use a number pad, but every time I turn on my computer it starts with the num lock on, so it messes up when I type my password.  I use an external Evoluent vertical mouse.  It is not using all the fancy button settings, which is good for me, I do not like those.  However, I have limited motor control and it is very hard for me to get the mouse pointer in the right spot until I set it on a very slow setting.  However, that is hard to do when it is not already on a very slow setting.  My eyes are also not so great.  My IT guy set it on a larger font size, but it keeps going back to small fonts.  I can hardly see what I am typing right now.  I can only see my IT guy on Saturdays.  I hope you can help me before that.  Will I get an e-mail when you send me the information I need to fix these things?  Can you post your answer in a large font?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments