"your computer is low on memory, please close X program"

Anonymous
2010-03-03T09:22:10+00:00

Hi all,

Just need to *disable* that warning above and any actions Windows takes because of it. I am NOT low on RAM as Windows indicates, I am only using 3 out of the 4 GB I have. I refuse to use a page file as I have no need to slow my system down to appease Windows. I truly LOVE Windows 7 Ultimate, and since I switched to the official release last August, has provided me with zero issues. I do not, however, appreciate Windows killing my applications when I hit the archaic 75% RAM utilization mark. I have 4 1GB sticks, if I only wanted 3GB, I only would have put in 3GB... It is most annoying because I rarely ever go above 3.3GB used, and I manage my RAM myself via dual monitor and task manager always open.

Many apologies if I come across as annoyed, but I am. I just crashed my VMware server (which will take a good hour to recover), and lost all unsaved progress 4 hours into a game, because Windows thought it important to start closing programs in the background because I used 3.1GB total of 4GB when I loaded a big map... Not huge in the grand scheme of things, but this happens daily.

System spec:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

AMD Phenom II X4 955BE @ 3.8GHz

2x ATI Radeon 4970 1GB (Crossfire)

G.Skill 1GB DDR3-2100 @ 2.1GHz (4GB total)

16GB SLC SSD HDD (system drive)

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 (storage drive)

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 external

Thermaltake 800 Watt Black Widow

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-03-04T04:24:14+00:00

Hey,

Page file does not slow down your system.

To enhance performance, it is good practice to put the paging file on a different partition and on a different physical hard disk drive. That way, Windows can handle multiple I/O requests more quickly.

Check with this option:

Change the size of virtual memory**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory**

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-29T00:05:02+00:00

    That is nice thatyou identified disabling the warning now what are the steps to do this?????????????????????????????????

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-01-12T00:57:34+00:00

    @KevinLozandier

    I agree, wouldn't hurt for a Windows 7 patch.

    I understand why they've done it, however the rationale is stupid today.

    Increasing memory should mean that you can run different applications with varying amounts of memory. When users have 16 GB of ram, the safe point is dictated not by a dumb percentage (by which I mean the percentage is just a percentage, not that percentages are stupid), but by how much more memory is likely to be allocated at once by a program. If you have lots of programs that will take 500 MB apiece (if you were running lots of web browsers for instance), then the warning should be at x programs away from maximum, e.g. the limit would be 14.5 GB of 16 GB.

    Of course there's some complicated programming to do involving memory profiling. This means that the algorithm is going to make mistakes sometimes. When it does, users should be able to manually fix this.

    In my case, I only have 4GB, like the original poster. This was an upgrade from 2GB, but I manged to NEVER get these warnings before, its a recent thing. This is a (bad) bug, not a feature.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-26T07:59:00+00:00

    I think for Windows 8, they need to reconsider this VERY annoying ram message when I have 4 gigs still available and I'm getting a warning of 'memory of being low' when I have 16GB of ram.

    Mr/Ms. R, you need to tell them to increase either the threshold or make it easy for people to change such warnings without having to go to their registry.

    It is 2012; that should not be an issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-07-11T05:54:49+00:00

    You point out the bit about running out of memory, but what about virtual memory?

    I'm using Windows 7 32 bit, and for all effects and purposes lets say I have 3GB and a small 4GB hard drive  just for swap memory.

    Would Windows memory management kick in and actually move stuff to the swap file area? Because really, I do have a swap file activated but what's the point that instead of the data being moved there I keep getting the error messages?

    Would disabling the message actually lead Windows to work properly, or just break that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments