"your computer is low on memory, please close X program"

Anonymous
2010-03-03T09:22:10+00:00

Hi all,

Just need to *disable* that warning above and any actions Windows takes because of it. I am NOT low on RAM as Windows indicates, I am only using 3 out of the 4 GB I have. I refuse to use a page file as I have no need to slow my system down to appease Windows. I truly LOVE Windows 7 Ultimate, and since I switched to the official release last August, has provided me with zero issues. I do not, however, appreciate Windows killing my applications when I hit the archaic 75% RAM utilization mark. I have 4 1GB sticks, if I only wanted 3GB, I only would have put in 3GB... It is most annoying because I rarely ever go above 3.3GB used, and I manage my RAM myself via dual monitor and task manager always open.

Many apologies if I come across as annoyed, but I am. I just crashed my VMware server (which will take a good hour to recover), and lost all unsaved progress 4 hours into a game, because Windows thought it important to start closing programs in the background because I used 3.1GB total of 4GB when I loaded a big map... Not huge in the grand scheme of things, but this happens daily.

System spec:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

AMD Phenom II X4 955BE @ 3.8GHz

2x ATI Radeon 4970 1GB (Crossfire)

G.Skill 1GB DDR3-2100 @ 2.1GHz (4GB total)

16GB SLC SSD HDD (system drive)

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 (storage drive)

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 external

Thermaltake 800 Watt Black Widow

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-03-04T04:24:14+00:00

Hey,

Page file does not slow down your system.

To enhance performance, it is good practice to put the paging file on a different partition and on a different physical hard disk drive. That way, Windows can handle multiple I/O requests more quickly.

Check with this option:

Change the size of virtual memory**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory**

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-05T09:43:32+00:00

    Ooh, someone got up grumpy. 

    The facts of this issue have not changed between Windows Vista->7->8, specifically the x64 editions. 

    Windows does not "want" to use more than 80% of available memory. There's one person who wants to argue this point for the sake of arguing. He doesn't even argue whether or not it's a major issue but if this happens at all. It's inane as anyone can see from their resource monitor how windows allocates memory and can observe the magic 80% number in action. 

    If you have NO page file, then

    Windows will issue low memory warning immediately upon reaching the 80% threshold. 

    If you HAVE page file then

    Windows will happily allocate SOME of that remaining 20% of RAM but will start to move it to page file immediately until you're back at max 80% allocated. 

    It's stupid but there's nothing you can do about it as Microsoft does not want to cap the buffer/reserver amount in absolute megabytes for some reason. At 8GB machines that's 1.6GB memory doing nothing much, perhaps it'll finally be patched when 16GB becomes commonplace as 3.2GB is fairly obvious overhead. 

    Workarounds: Get more RAM. More the better. Yes, you only get 4/5 of it actually used but RAM is cheap and do you think the amount used is being allocated efficiently? Use the page file. Yes it's annoying but it adds some flexibility to the system at least. For HDD pagefile should not exceed more than 3-4GB, your machine will be already rather sluggish at such amount. Allocating 1.5x RAM is old obsolete and completely wrong in 2014. If you have SDD you can have larger pagefile if you want but you'd better buy more RAM instead. 

    Chrome leaks memory like crazy, deal with it. You can see the actual amount used by opening url about://memory (which goes to chrome://memory-redirect/). Using adblock makes the memory leak much worse but not using adblock makes life worse. If you want even more nitpicking detail you can check chrome://memory-internals/

    There's also chrome task manager available from shift-esc

    You can try "the great suspender" extension for chrome. At least for firefox similar extensions which (try to) unload tabs do not work as firefox does not actually release the memory when tab is suspended. But it's worth a shot..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-05T09:39:22+00:00

    Ah well ! All my theories have been proven incorrect.

    I admit to only skimming a most of the post/rants, and it looks like I went into auto-pilot thinking

    this was one of the more common Page File threads, as the OP title says "Please close Program X" , so I somehow missed the salient point about only being  able to use 80% (75%) of RAM.

    OP also said -

    "I am only using 3 out of the 4 GB I have. I refuse to use a page file...

    I just crashed my VMware server"

    I wonder why he said that.  I just looked at his spec and it says 16GB - oh well, there I go again

    not reading carefully enough.

    • I have been told that  VMware servers used a lot of memory and required a fair bit of

    processing power, but don't have experience with VMware.

    So then. All  'out of memory errors'  are a result of Windows not using more than 80% of RAM.

    But with a Page File you are spared the error message when going over 80% RAM usage.

    Nothing to do with software that us the Page File at all, yes ?

    Which explains why with 8GB of RAM, and never having used more than about 52% of that,

    I will never see this error if I were to disable the Page File, yes ?     

    .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-05T08:06:44+00:00

    1. Its not Windows that thinks its out of memory. It's the software that uses the Page File. Since everyone still has software that still utilizes the page file then you are implying that EVERYONE should be getting 'Out of Memory' warnings and this should be normal. Do you realize that what you are saying thus far makes absolutely NO coherent or logical sense?

    2. If you don't have a software that uses the Page File you won't get an out of memory error.

    3. - Some programs that handle very large files such as video and photo editors have to allow for those who don't have massive amounts of RAM so these programs make use of the Page File. In this instance a program may show an out of memory error when it does not detect a Page File

    Reply in numerical order:

    1. Since everyone still has software that uses the Page File, then you are implying that EVERYONE should be getting 'Out of memory' warnings and that this should be normal. This makes NO coherent or logical sense.
    2. Wrong you are. You obviously didn't read much of this thread or any of my recent post today where I pointed out that Windows programs themselves mistakenly believe that THEY are also running out of memory. Its not the software that utilizes the Page File. Its the Memory Controller module of Windows OS itself.
    3. Now your trying to say that a person should only get an 'Out of memory' warning if they have their Page File disabled and are using a program that is looking for the Page File and con not find it?

    This is also factually **UNTRUE.**This sounds like question that would come from a forum troll.

    In this instance a program may show an out of memory error when it does not detect a Page File.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-05T06:17:51+00:00

    Regardless of how much RAM a machine may have older software and some new software is still

    designed to use the Page File.  It's not Windows that thinks it is out of memory. It's the

    software that uses the Page File. If you don't have a software that uses the Page File you won't get

    an out of memory error.

    • Some programs that handle very large files such as video and photo editors have to allow for those

    who don't have massive amounts of RAM so these programs make use of the Page File.

    In this instance a program may show an out of memory error when it does not detect a Page File.

    • The 'Read Me' in some recent games suggests having a Page File for better performance. While

    not having a Page File may not cause all such games to crash, it is difficult to know which will as it would

    depend on that games coding.

    • Windows uses the Page File to create Memory Dumps when there is a  BSOD .

    It is also used by System Restore.

    More

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments