"your computer is low on memory, please close X program"

Anonymous
2010-03-03T09:22:10+00:00

Hi all,

Just need to *disable* that warning above and any actions Windows takes because of it. I am NOT low on RAM as Windows indicates, I am only using 3 out of the 4 GB I have. I refuse to use a page file as I have no need to slow my system down to appease Windows. I truly LOVE Windows 7 Ultimate, and since I switched to the official release last August, has provided me with zero issues. I do not, however, appreciate Windows killing my applications when I hit the archaic 75% RAM utilization mark. I have 4 1GB sticks, if I only wanted 3GB, I only would have put in 3GB... It is most annoying because I rarely ever go above 3.3GB used, and I manage my RAM myself via dual monitor and task manager always open.

Many apologies if I come across as annoyed, but I am. I just crashed my VMware server (which will take a good hour to recover), and lost all unsaved progress 4 hours into a game, because Windows thought it important to start closing programs in the background because I used 3.1GB total of 4GB when I loaded a big map... Not huge in the grand scheme of things, but this happens daily.

System spec:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

AMD Phenom II X4 955BE @ 3.8GHz

2x ATI Radeon 4970 1GB (Crossfire)

G.Skill 1GB DDR3-2100 @ 2.1GHz (4GB total)

16GB SLC SSD HDD (system drive)

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 (storage drive)

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 external

Thermaltake 800 Watt Black Widow

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-03-04T04:24:14+00:00

Hey,

Page file does not slow down your system.

To enhance performance, it is good practice to put the paging file on a different partition and on a different physical hard disk drive. That way, Windows can handle multiple I/O requests more quickly.

Check with this option:

Change the size of virtual memory**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory**

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-22T15:15:25+00:00

    Hey,

    Page file does not slow down your system.

    To enhance performance, it is good practice to put the paging file on a different partition and on a different physical hard disk drive. That way, Windows can handle multiple I/O requests more quickly.

    Check with this option:

    Change the size of virtual memory**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory**

    Regards,

    Divya R – Microsoft Support.

    Hi Divya,

    My C: drive is entirely on a SSD, which is much faster than the other hard drive, will that be a good idea to put the paging file on a different drive other than C?

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-25T16:20:32+00:00

    As it turns out for ONEspecific resent issue that I have been dealing with here, I will explain why the bold, it was due to me setting up and trying to use Microsoft Speech Recognition software that is included with Window 7. I had it set to load at start-up and found it was very quickly and in short order growing to use 8-11GB or memory with was causing this recent issue. It appears Microsoft Speech Rec has massive memory leeks. What a shame. On another Windows XP system I have ran out of memory due to the most recent Firefox install using up all of the memory and had to close and reopen it. It seams that we are in an Ara of time where massive memory  hogging and leaking applications are the norm. Developers are either not smart enough these says or are to quick at pushing things out to write clean code that does not leek memory. So I am assuming that we all have to resort to opening and closing applications constantly throughout the day and not use those ones that almost immediately leek massive amounts of memory like MS Speech Rec.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-31T12:14:23+00:00

    Lol, funny thing is I actually came looking because I have a brand new super dell, laptop, with 32gigs and dual 8 gig video cards, yet, I started getting these errors the last few days.

    However, the issue is actually with Visual Studio 2013 and Word.

    Even funnier is... I was not even coding. I am actually coding on my MAC, porting a game I wrote. I merely opened Visual Studio so I could look at my screens (never ran it once), and as for Word I was writing my privacy policy.

    And I can assure you my SWAP file, and my RAM are A.O.K. lol and I was not low for any app(including them). Loads of handles though (which can also be a problem), but nothing major.

    Anyhoo, yeah it's annoying.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-13T16:29:34+00:00

    Where does the resource monitor state that 80% is a magical number or show the number 80 as any percentage? I have never seen it and must assume you spent time roughly calculating some other numbers to arrive at this percentage conclusion.

    Keep task manager and/or resource manager open, that's all it takes. There are also quite a few threads in various forums to the effect of "Windows is claiming I'm out of memory but I still have 1.6GB unused". The same numbers keep cropping up. 

    The percentage of used memory is NOT in RESOURCE MONITOR but in TASK MANAGER.

    Olli is factually incorrect in that he claims that 80% is a magical number that MS has set in the OS.  I routinely get the *'Out of memory'*warnings when I still have 1.8-1.6.6GB available, but that is 70% and my Task Manager always says I have only used 70% to 71% still available. This is what most of us in this thread are experiencing.Furthermore, even though I am using 70% of my memory, Resource Monitor says I only ussing 40%

    Who, ruining Windows wants to only be able to utilize:

    5.6GB out pf 8GB of memory

    or 11GB  out of 16Gb's

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments