"your computer is low on memory, please close X program"

Anonymous
2010-03-03T09:22:10+00:00

Hi all,

Just need to *disable* that warning above and any actions Windows takes because of it. I am NOT low on RAM as Windows indicates, I am only using 3 out of the 4 GB I have. I refuse to use a page file as I have no need to slow my system down to appease Windows. I truly LOVE Windows 7 Ultimate, and since I switched to the official release last August, has provided me with zero issues. I do not, however, appreciate Windows killing my applications when I hit the archaic 75% RAM utilization mark. I have 4 1GB sticks, if I only wanted 3GB, I only would have put in 3GB... It is most annoying because I rarely ever go above 3.3GB used, and I manage my RAM myself via dual monitor and task manager always open.

Many apologies if I come across as annoyed, but I am. I just crashed my VMware server (which will take a good hour to recover), and lost all unsaved progress 4 hours into a game, because Windows thought it important to start closing programs in the background because I used 3.1GB total of 4GB when I loaded a big map... Not huge in the grand scheme of things, but this happens daily.

System spec:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

AMD Phenom II X4 955BE @ 3.8GHz

2x ATI Radeon 4970 1GB (Crossfire)

G.Skill 1GB DDR3-2100 @ 2.1GHz (4GB total)

16GB SLC SSD HDD (system drive)

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 (storage drive)

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 external

Thermaltake 800 Watt Black Widow

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-03-04T04:24:14+00:00

Hey,

Page file does not slow down your system.

To enhance performance, it is good practice to put the paging file on a different partition and on a different physical hard disk drive. That way, Windows can handle multiple I/O requests more quickly.

Check with this option:

Change the size of virtual memory**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory**

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-23T03:34:27+00:00

    older software and some new software is still designed to use the Page File.

    That's an incorrect statement.

    Page file is an extensions of Physical RAM and is only used as a means to overcome memory limitation.

    I'm using 8GB of RAM, in past I had less, but no page file activated. So far no single application i've used in the past 3 years ever warned me about it needing a page file.

    Specialized application like video editing software might use their own implementation of page file, like Photoshop, Illustrator or Premiere uses its scrape directory. MySQL uses its own cache file depending on the db engine and some other DB servers use journal files outside of Virtual Memory as they would use Virtual Memory.

    It would be absolutely idiotic for an application to hard code a page file requirement as virtual memory is exclusively managed by the OS. Any interference in this practice would limit the application to only users using a page file.

    What an application looks for is free RAM. What an application see depends on the 32-bit/64-bit type, its limitations or what the system has available.

    Needles to say, what software vendors recommend is a general solution for all users. Page file will only improve game performance on those system which lack enough physical RAM, where most application memory space gets dumped to the page file, leaving the game as much physical RAM as possible. This is not the experience a user with 16GB of RAM (for instance) would prefer. In those 16GB, active application (AV, explorer, trey applications, Chrome) would sit well in RAM along side a game and not interfere. There would be no reason for the game to request OS to dump them to page file.

    The bit about the crash dump is the only thing right about your statement.

    But here, I too can make corrections: if a system is unstable and displays BSODs, and the user who has the page file disabled wants (and listen to this KEY WORD) wants a dump, he can enable the minimum 16MB or if he wants the whole memory dump, the total amount of RAM +300MB, get the dump on the next BSOD and analyze it. Of course, this is not the average usage after BSODs, as most people don't analyze dump. These most people would also 1st use stable Windows versions and kernels, 2nd not know how to analyze dumps, 3rd should look for issues not with the kernel or in dumps but in recent kernel drivers they might have installed. A lot of people use cracked sandboxie or deepfreeze or ever antiviruses, which, like most security tools use kernel drivers for their implementations. These kernel drivers when cracked might become unstable and produce BSODs.

    But like all issues, these are instances.

    Of course I have nothing against using page files. Each user should use whatever he or she pleases, it's just my advice, that when using some components, like lots of RAM, and SSD's, a user should use all RAM, and should prevent SSDs excessive write wear by disabling the page file (which gets written on the drive) and find applications which can use resources at their fulles.

    My experience involving misuse of page file was more visible in the case of AMD's Catalyst system tray tool, which I use to change by hot key though different color profiles (higher contrast, lower gamma, etc). When using a page file, Catalyst would always pause if I were to use the right click menu on its tray icon, and heavy read usage would occur for a few seconds, leading me to believe that for no reason, even if there's plenty of free RAM, it dumps some essential code to page file, and also extracts it from page file when needed. Mind you, this is a .NET application and if so, most .NET applications would behave this way. Disabling the page file, left Catalyst only RAM to use and right click context menu and swapping through profiles is done instantly, no more heavy reads and short pauses until execution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-23T02:56:28+00:00

    Excuse me???????? The people that have 16GB of RAM should be getting 'Out of Memory' warnings????? Explain this.

    Simple logic dictates that system equipped with large amounts of RAM are so because they make use of it and are operated by power-users, not average joes. These days, give how cheap RAM is average joe thinks it's best to get lots of RAM, but, not being a power user doesn't know how to configure his system. The message only shows up if there's no Virtual Memory present, thus all RAM would be used up and end up unavailable. With VM (unmanaged size), some background application memory would be dumped to VM and RAM will be freed, hence the message would not show up, ever.

    This is user-oriented OS,

    What in the world does that mean??? Every OS has a user.

    There are classes of users called, average joes like yourself , and then there are power-users, admins, backup operators, devs etc. Each professional class know its sh*t, while one class doesn't know much, hence they come to the forums to get learned.

    Who was talking about using all of one system memory

    I have 12GB of virtual memory because I have the page file enabled and there is no way I used even 3/4 or that amount for typical computing.

    "No-way" is a term often used by average joe thinking he knows it all. There's is no "no-way", there's always "the possibility that is might". Also you're misleading the point by inserting the "typical computing" and abandoning the term end sentence. Sure for "typical computing" one won't use that much, but the message pops up when the issue is outside of "typical computing", when the used uses for instance a memory leak plagued application.

    So that is your solution for an OS that 'IS WORKING PROPERLY', to disable the page file? This isn't the way Windows 7 was originally intended to run and would amount to a broken OS without a fix. No system engineer would tell anyone to disable the page file to fix a problem.

    Well average joe, 1st thing you're blaming me for what I use for myself, it works for me and I can live with it. 2nd don't pretend you know anything about OS admin prospects, cause so far you're embarrassing yourself. 3rd, you have either ADD or your're a little ignorant troll, this is why:

    The part about disabling anything was related to the message that bothers the user and my solution was SPOT ON and probably THE ONLY SOLUTION on this thread that pertains to the**Sublime865****question: "**Just need to *disable* that warning above and any actions Windows takes because of it."

    1st mart of the message is my answer had nothing to do with disabling the page file. Try to pay more attention, or if you did but for medical reasons you were not able to grasp its meaning, try to medicate yourself properly. Read it carefully again, test it out and see if it fixes what "MS" broke.

    I don't think ...blah blah blah 

    Well here's the issue, Richman101, you don't think.

    You believe all programs want want kind of memory? You're wrong, thus having a very large page file won't be of any use. SOme programs want FAST MEMORY only, like RAM. One of these applications I can think of the top of my head is 7zip. If you set it up to use a very large comrpession dictionaly it will requires large amounts of RAM. Even if there is a Virtual Memory of several GB available, but the system has only 1GB of physical memory, 7z will throw an error a say it does not have sufficient RAM. Other programs work in the same way.

    The 2nd part of my comment, about me not using a page file, is just a proof of concept that with a memory manager, I can make use fully of my RAM, never hit the message (topic in question) and still won't crash apps. Of course that is in "typical computing" to use terms you might know about. On the other hand, if I were to use that 7z that way, I would get warning about it or not being able to use it at all. But this is not a typical scenario.

    Having a page file is a user's choice, if he or she can and knows how to manage the computer's resources and not let the default profiles interfere, then a page file is not needed.

    Having a page file on the other hand is useful for average joes (no offence to others) when they don't want to be bothered of the inner working of the OS. Let the OS use whatever it has.

    I now have 8GB of RAM, an SSD and no page file set. Mostly I use 4 to 5GB and all is stable for the past year.

    "You better just crash and close because we don't have enough for you"  even though there is plenty of RAM and/or page file space available"

    No, average joe, you got it wrong again, this is another thing entirely. If an application has lot of RAM available (as in the cases of people having 16GB of RAM), but crashes anyway you have to look at what type of application it is. A 32-bit app at best can use no more than 2GB of RAM per task (.exe in task manager). A 64-bit app has none of these limitation.  There are instances of 32-bit applications like that that reach this limit, one being Chrome. If using some extensions and uninterrupted use, one of Chrome.exe's will reach 2GB of RAM because of memory leaks. This, however, has nothing to do with the overall system RAM usage limit being reached. But as I've said before, if people let the default system profilers get involved, they might get results they don't want to see.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-22T21:50:31+00:00

    Page file does not slow down your system.

    This statement is not true so I would not be seeking advice from the person who made it!

    How large is your SSD and how much free disk space does the drive have?

    Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload to your

    OneDrive (formerly Sky Drive), share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

    For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

    Hi,

    It's a 80GB SSD that has only one partition. Currently the C drive has about 6 GB space and the page file is managed by Windows in that drive. Before starting to use a SSD, I used to allocate a fixed page file size in order to reduce disk fragmentation. As Divya Rsuggested to put page file on a separate drive (on a separate hard drive, if possible) the question came into my mind that would that be helpful for me to put page files on a slower drive while windows is running from a much faster hard drive.

    Thanks,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-22T18:39:25+00:00

    Page file does not slow down your system.

    This statement is not true so I would not be seeking advice from the person who made it!

    How large is your SSD and how much free disk space does the drive have?

    Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload to your OneDrive (formerly Sky Drive), share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

    For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments