"your computer is low on memory, please close X program"

Anonymous
2010-03-03T09:22:10+00:00

Hi all,

Just need to *disable* that warning above and any actions Windows takes because of it. I am NOT low on RAM as Windows indicates, I am only using 3 out of the 4 GB I have. I refuse to use a page file as I have no need to slow my system down to appease Windows. I truly LOVE Windows 7 Ultimate, and since I switched to the official release last August, has provided me with zero issues. I do not, however, appreciate Windows killing my applications when I hit the archaic 75% RAM utilization mark. I have 4 1GB sticks, if I only wanted 3GB, I only would have put in 3GB... It is most annoying because I rarely ever go above 3.3GB used, and I manage my RAM myself via dual monitor and task manager always open.

Many apologies if I come across as annoyed, but I am. I just crashed my VMware server (which will take a good hour to recover), and lost all unsaved progress 4 hours into a game, because Windows thought it important to start closing programs in the background because I used 3.1GB total of 4GB when I loaded a big map... Not huge in the grand scheme of things, but this happens daily.

System spec:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

AMD Phenom II X4 955BE @ 3.8GHz

2x ATI Radeon 4970 1GB (Crossfire)

G.Skill 1GB DDR3-2100 @ 2.1GHz (4GB total)

16GB SLC SSD HDD (system drive)

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 (storage drive)

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 external

Thermaltake 800 Watt Black Widow

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-03-04T04:24:14+00:00

Hey,

Page file does not slow down your system.

To enhance performance, it is good practice to put the paging file on a different partition and on a different physical hard disk drive. That way, Windows can handle multiple I/O requests more quickly.

Check with this option:

Change the size of virtual memory**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory**

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-10-09T18:41:59+00:00

    How did you disable this?  I also have plenty of memory and it does this all the time!  :/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-21T15:27:16+00:00

    This does NOT answer the question. There are edge cases that need the actual problem solved: How to stop Windows from interfering in programs that use more than 75-80% of RAM.

    For example: A program running a physics simulation, the only major app that needs to run so it can have all the memory it needs. Machine has 120G of RAM, built just for this kind of simulation. App wants more than 90G ram... usually well into a complicated simulation. Requesting memory, which there is plenty of, at least 10-20G, causes Windows to kill simulation. 

    How to prevent this from happening and getting to that ~20G remaining memory?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-28T09:40:51+00:00

    so Richard did you manage to fix this. Did increasing the desktop heap help?

    I am having the same memory problems, when using many firefox or chrome browser tabs.

    Maybe this is the way for MS to improve their IE browser populairity ? :) (Not sure if IE usage also leads to this problem)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments