"your computer is low on memory, please close X program"

Anonymous
2010-03-03T09:22:10+00:00

Hi all,

Just need to *disable* that warning above and any actions Windows takes because of it. I am NOT low on RAM as Windows indicates, I am only using 3 out of the 4 GB I have. I refuse to use a page file as I have no need to slow my system down to appease Windows. I truly LOVE Windows 7 Ultimate, and since I switched to the official release last August, has provided me with zero issues. I do not, however, appreciate Windows killing my applications when I hit the archaic 75% RAM utilization mark. I have 4 1GB sticks, if I only wanted 3GB, I only would have put in 3GB... It is most annoying because I rarely ever go above 3.3GB used, and I manage my RAM myself via dual monitor and task manager always open.

Many apologies if I come across as annoyed, but I am. I just crashed my VMware server (which will take a good hour to recover), and lost all unsaved progress 4 hours into a game, because Windows thought it important to start closing programs in the background because I used 3.1GB total of 4GB when I loaded a big map... Not huge in the grand scheme of things, but this happens daily.

System spec:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

AMD Phenom II X4 955BE @ 3.8GHz

2x ATI Radeon 4970 1GB (Crossfire)

G.Skill 1GB DDR3-2100 @ 2.1GHz (4GB total)

16GB SLC SSD HDD (system drive)

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 (storage drive)

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 external

Thermaltake 800 Watt Black Widow

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-03-04T04:24:14+00:00

Hey,

Page file does not slow down your system.

To enhance performance, it is good practice to put the paging file on a different partition and on a different physical hard disk drive. That way, Windows can handle multiple I/O requests more quickly.

Check with this option:

Change the size of virtual memory**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory**

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-29T01:22:55+00:00

    Oh, for the love of GOD, you're still at it?

    Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)

    Computer Configuration

    > Administrative Templates

    > System

    > Troubleshooting and Diagnostics

    > Windows Resource Exhaustion Detection and Resolution

    > Configure Scenario Execution Level

    >>>>> Disable

    There's nothing to fix! This is user-oriented OS, so it's abnormal for almost all system memory to be used... or that's MS's thinking. To get rid of it, deactivate it and use some memory monitoring solution (like TweakRAM) to be kept informed about memory usage (instead of a pointless alert). Anyway, most applications, in this case, will crash (Firefox, Chrome) or tell you there's not enough RAM (WinRAR) but it's not the end of the world.

    I'm running with 3GB, no pagefile and 256MB for video... I'm still alive. And my OS is working properly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-05T04:04:46+00:00

    Hey,

    Page file does not slow down your system.

    To enhance performance, it is good practice to put the paging file on a different partition and on a different physical hard disk drive. That way, Windows can handle multiple I/O requests more quickly.

    Check with this option:

    Change the size of virtual memory**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory**

    Regards,

    Divya R – Microsoft Support.

    Divya,

    I am astonished at how your answer got picked as the answer when '0' found it helpful.

    I found your response also extremely unhelpful as I have used various versions of Windows. Your accretion that moving the page file to another partition if on the same physical drive being helpful in nonsense. Also, moving the page file off to another physical drive was NEVER necessary, nor would it do anything for the system seeing the RAM as being 'Low' or to solve the OP's original question "Your computer is low on memory, please close X program"

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-01T09:54:20+00:00

    so this guy is a douche bag, and shouldnt be allowed to mark this as an answer. the question was how to disable that annoying message and prevent windows from closing things.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-07-26T07:59:00+00:00

    I think for Windows 8, they need to reconsider this VERY annoying ram message when I have 4 gigs still available and I'm getting a warning of 'memory of being low' when I have 16GB of ram.

    Mr/Ms. R, you need to tell them to increase either the threshold or make it easy for people to change such warnings without having to go to their registry.

    It is 2012; that should not be an issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments