Delay mounting network drive at boot?

Anonymous
2010-04-17T12:13:51+00:00

I have a network drive that I have mapped as a drive on my toshiba nb205 notebook.  It works fine with one exception, boot-up time. 

When the notebook is booted it can never connect to the mapped drive, if I manually open the drive it will then connect and be fine.

My theory is that windows is trying to connect to the drive before the network connection is established. 

Is there a way to delay mounting the network attached drive until the network establishment is complete?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-04-17T13:17:11+00:00

Try this:

  1. Click Start, then type the three letters cmd into the Search box and press Enter.
  2. Type these commands and press Enter after each:

    net use /persistent:no

    net use * /del /yes

    notepad "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\netlogon.bat

  1. Type the following lines:

    @echo off

    set delay=60

    ping localhost -n %delay%

    net use E: "\SomePC\SomeShare"

  1. Save and close the file

From now on your network connection(s) will be made 60 seconds (or whatever delay you set) after you log on. You must, of course, replace "SomePC" and "SomeShare" with actual names. You also need to be careful with your typing. The commands I used will not tolerate many variations.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-12-15T03:02:52+00:00

    Genius!  Worked for me 1st try.  I love it when a plan comes together!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-01-03T15:43:20+00:00

    Hello Pegasus,

    can you clarify this for me more please?  I am not sure as to what your asking at this line

      notepad "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\netlogon.bat

    Are you asking me to open notepad?

    Also how am i saving the file?

    Thanks

    Joseph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-01-03T16:44:24+00:00

    notepad "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\netlogon.bat"

    Are you asking me to open notepad?

    Also how am i saving the file?

    The command "notepad" (or notepad.exe) opens a notepad session.

    To save the file, you click File , then Save .

    If you lack experience in PC administration and maintenance activities then I recommend that you ask a computer-savvy friend to assist you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-01-03T17:46:11+00:00

    Thanks for your help. I got it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments