How can I clean the rubber sides of my mouse?

Anonymous
2009-07-15T22:46:08+00:00

I have the MS Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0.  I've had it for approximately 2 years.  The rubberized sides have become sticky/tacky.  What can I use to clean them?  The mouse works just fine; it's the texture of the grips that is yucky.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-07-16T04:56:35+00:00

Kirstin McDonald,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Answers community forum.

On the hard plastic parts you can use any kind of mild household cleanser on a soft cloth, never spray anything directly on any electronics.  You can get special cleaners at the computer / electronics stores, but basically they are much different from your common all purpose cleanser.  Never use anything harsh that will break down the plastic.  For the soft rubber like surfaces you have to be more careful to use something very gentle like a mild liquid hand soap, just a tiny dab on a web cloth.  Or try those pre-moistened hand wipes.  If it is gentle enough to wipe your hands with, then it should be safe for the mouse.  If the rubber has started breaking down and getting sticky, don't try to clean it, it is time to get a new mouse.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,


Gloria

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-08T10:05:53+00:00

    Heinz Sticky Fingers Wipes worked for me with a fair bit of rubbing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-18T13:20:10+00:00

    I got Isopropyl Alcohol (according to the pharmacist, it is rubbing alcohol).  It didn't work.  My Mouse and Keyboard is still very sticky.

    I have the same issue with my Microsoft wireless keyboard 3000 and I can't get a hold of any number to call and complain about this issue.

    The wrist rest is disgustingly sticky and I hate sticky surfaces. It's like I had purposely applied yucky material on the keyboard. As I see it this is a huge manufacturing mistake and I should get my money back. I'm not going to replace a functional 2 year old keyboard because Microsoft can't be responsible for a poor choice of materials. The alcohol solution really didn't work for me--still sticky as ****!

    Any opinion or phone number would be appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-19T19:03:55+00:00

    Hi,

    Please read my post in this discussion. It works pretty good. Just give it a few days to set in though. It removes the stickiness but the rubber will not have the same slick silicon like feel, but feel more like natural rubber. It will at least get rid of the stickiness...

    Paul

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-25T21:53:53+00:00

    I agree here, suggesting that it's time to replace the mouse is a pathetic answer.

    I've gone through a number of MS hardware products with the rubberized **** that starts to become sticky and melt off. In fact, they all have, sometimes within a year of a brand new purchase. 

    I guess it is time to start buying new, products that aren't microsoft's with the useless plastocrap!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments