How can I clean the rubber sides of my mouse?

Anonymous
2009-07-15T22:46:08+00:00

I have the MS Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0.  I've had it for approximately 2 years.  The rubberized sides have become sticky/tacky.  What can I use to clean them?  The mouse works just fine; it's the texture of the grips that is yucky.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-07-16T04:56:35+00:00

Kirstin McDonald,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Answers community forum.

On the hard plastic parts you can use any kind of mild household cleanser on a soft cloth, never spray anything directly on any electronics.  You can get special cleaners at the computer / electronics stores, but basically they are much different from your common all purpose cleanser.  Never use anything harsh that will break down the plastic.  For the soft rubber like surfaces you have to be more careful to use something very gentle like a mild liquid hand soap, just a tiny dab on a web cloth.  Or try those pre-moistened hand wipes.  If it is gentle enough to wipe your hands with, then it should be safe for the mouse.  If the rubber has started breaking down and getting sticky, don't try to clean it, it is time to get a new mouse.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,


Gloria

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-10-30T13:34:14+00:00

    @Taipei800, 

    In this case the mice are great, it is a problem with the rubber coating. Each of the suggestions on this thread give helpful advice on how to address the problem, but none can have a solution for issues associated with environmental damage to the rubber that causes the problem. Microsoft isn't the only manufacturer to use this surface treatment, but I don't think it adds enough utility to justify using it.  I don't think you have to stop buying Microsoft peripherals/hardware, but you may do as I have done by limiting your purchases to products without coatings that have potential problems.

    I haven't held a Surface Tablet yet, but the next time I am near a Microsoft Store I will check it out and let you know my thoughts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-10-29T06:31:22+00:00

    I have the same problem with the rubber breaking down. I wish Microsoft would offer a better fix as it is a material problem, not a maintenance issue. How about a $25 off coupon. I'd spend mine on a new Microsoft mouse.

    How come a Microsoft product so poor in quality?

    I have the same problem too, and I bought  my Microsoft blue tooth mouse  just 1 year ago.

    I think I will never buy Microsoft Peripherals or Microsoft Hardwares.

    I just wondering whether Microsoft Surface tablet will have the same kind of stupid problems too...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-02T16:32:38+00:00

    thanks for the tip dude it works like charm!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-11-13T01:48:46+00:00

    Isopropy (rubbing) alcohol, rag and firm scrubbing removed the thin sticky disintegrating layer of rubber on the sides of my MS laser 6000 and it feels great again.

    the same process also worked on the small 'back' and 'forward' buttons.

    thx for the tip

    Gloria - a mentor told me many years back "better to just sit there quietly and look dumb than to open my mouth and remove all doubt"

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments