How can I clean the rubber sides of my mouse?

Anonymous
2009-07-15T22:46:08+00:00

I have the MS Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0.  I've had it for approximately 2 years.  The rubberized sides have become sticky/tacky.  What can I use to clean them?  The mouse works just fine; it's the texture of the grips that is yucky.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-07-16T04:56:35+00:00

Kirstin McDonald,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Answers community forum.

On the hard plastic parts you can use any kind of mild household cleanser on a soft cloth, never spray anything directly on any electronics.  You can get special cleaners at the computer / electronics stores, but basically they are much different from your common all purpose cleanser.  Never use anything harsh that will break down the plastic.  For the soft rubber like surfaces you have to be more careful to use something very gentle like a mild liquid hand soap, just a tiny dab on a web cloth.  Or try those pre-moistened hand wipes.  If it is gentle enough to wipe your hands with, then it should be safe for the mouse.  If the rubber has started breaking down and getting sticky, don't try to clean it, it is time to get a new mouse.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,


Gloria

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-15T00:58:35+00:00

    This works!  Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-15T00:56:56+00:00

    Thanks for the tip.  I cleaned my sticky rubber mouse with rubbing alcohol, and  it really worked!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-10-24T19:07:29+00:00

    I have the MS Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0.  I've had it for approximately 2 years.  The rubberized sides have become sticky/tacky.  What can I use to clean them?  The mouse works just fine; it's the texture of the grips that is yucky.

    I just tried Gloria's suggestion with dish soap using a blue kitchen scrubby pad. It took a little effort but it did finally come off. 

    Thanks Gloria

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-26T14:18:44+00:00

    rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs, make sure its unplugged id say

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments