Windows wireless service is not running on this computer

Anonymous
2010-02-10T22:15:23+00:00

I have a Gateway laptop running 32-bit Vista SP2 I am unable to connect to any wireless networks. One day I had no problems and the next, I am unable to find any networks.  When I attempt to connect to a network I receive a message that Windows can't find any networks.  When the diagnose why link is clicked I get an error dialogue box that "Windows Wireless Service is not running on this computer". When the Windows network diagnostics dialogue box appears I click on "Start Windows Wireless Service" and then am told that Windows cannot fix the problem and instructs me to contact my network admin or ISP.

I have tried several fixes from different forums and nothing has worked.  I've run virus scans that haven't detected anything.  Is there a fix for this issue?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-11T16:44:55+00:00

Hi,

  1. Did you check the status of wireless service i.e. WLAN AutoConfig in services window?
  2. Do you've any security software installed on the computer?
  3. Did you make any changes on the computer recently?

Let's first try to start the wireless service i.e. WLAN AutoConfig service manually. To do this, login to the computer as an administrator.

  1. Click Start, type services.msc and hit enter.
  2. Locate WLAN AutoConfig service, double click on it to open its properties window.
  3. Under General tab, change the Startup type to Automatic and click Start button.
  4. Click Apply and then ok.

Try to connect to the wireless connection and check the result.

If the service still fails to start, then run system file checker tool to scan the computer for corrupt system files and fix them automatically. To run sfc scan, try the steps mentioned in this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

For more information about the wireless settings, check this link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb878035.aspx

Let us know the result of the above troubleshooting steps, so that we can look into more details and assist you further.

Regards,

Syed V

Microsoft answers support engineer.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-05T09:16:58+00:00

    I have a Gateway laptop running 32-bit Vista SP2 I am unable to connect to any wireless networks. One day I had no problems and the next, I am unable to find any networks.  When I attempt to connect to a network I receive a message that Windows can't find any networks.  When the diagnose why link is clicked I get an error dialogue box that "Windows Wireless Service is not running on this computer". When the Windows network diagnostics dialogue box appears I click on "Start Windows Wireless Service" and then am told that Windows cannot fix the problem and instructs me to contact my network admin or ISP.

    I have tried several fixes from different forums and nothing has worked.  I've run virus scans that haven't detected anything.  Is there a fix for this issue? 

    http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-no-wi-fi-available-after-windows-10-upgrade-issue-heres-how/

    This might help you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-06T09:47:07+00:00

    SIR, I am grateful, It really "FIXED" the issue. I was so upset, I couldn't use any of the wireless service (BT, WIFI etc) and i thought my laptop has probably encountered a hardware problem.Computers are so complex at times, i cant believe it was just a minor .dll  problem.Thanks a lot sir. Grateful

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-12T13:36:37+00:00

    I am have a problem with WIN10 with the wireless connection being dropped.  The laptop is running along and the bang it drops the wireless connection.  When running the trouble shooting option the reports is "Windows wireless service not running on this computer"  I then  run the option to diagnose and fix the problem.  The problem is corrected and the network connection is restored.   After a period of time the same thing happens all over again.  I repeat the steps above and the network connection is once again restored.  Why is WIN10 dropping the wireless connection and how do I fix the problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-12-16T00:48:08+00:00

    Had the intermittent wifi dropping problem on my 2015 ASUS all in one computer as described above.  Went through all the remedies found here and elsewhere from service settings to registry edits.  No help.  Thought I might have static electricity built up on my wifi adapter -- a long shot?  Shut down and pulled every cord for about 3 hours.  Started back up and all is just fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments