Why Can't i see my desktop background?

Anonymous
2009-06-22T12:40:30+00:00

I got this Asus laptop, its vista and i used to be able to change the desktop background easily.

But suddenly, the next day, i switched on my laptop and realised that the background was pitch black with not wallpaper.

I am able to change the background colour but i am just unable to set a wallpaper.

When i went to control panels to change the wallpaper, i am able to select the picutures but i cant see it.

 In other words, I cant see the pictures available for us to choose for our wallpaper but i am able to select it.

 But when i jus randomly select the pic, the background is still pitch black.

And that 'cant see picture prob' oso happened to the rest of my pictures in my folders.

i am able to see my pics in the folders onli when i refreshed the page about 3 times.

When i searched for pictures on the internet, i right click on the picutre and slelect 'set as background wallpaper' and it works!

But i still hav no idea why my laptop has this prob. Help pls?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-01-16T17:48:30+00:00

    Same problem, still waiting for an answer. The images are where they should be, I have even tried them in different formats: JPEG, GIF, EPS, BMP, you name it. Icons, shortcuts, all the screen graphics seem fine. I just can never see the "background" assigned until I shut down or click the "show desktop." The image shows when setting up the theme and I am the only user on my laptop.

    I didn't have trouble with Vista, only have trouble now that I am using Windows 7. I had to install Windows & in order to use previous version software that Vista wouldn't accept.

    Still waiting for help here...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-01-13T20:35:48+00:00

    I have the same problem before, I checked the image file I was selecting and it was on PNG format, I tried selecting other formats which is like PNG and it doesn't show the background. But when I select JPEG, GIF and BMP, the background displays. I haven't tried to investigate further on this scenario. Hope it can helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-12-22T05:51:01+00:00

    I am running Windows 7 on a Dell computer and experience the same problems described--background image shows briefly when I click on the "show desktop" and when I shut down. The images I have tried are in the folder I connect them to but htere still seems to be a "curtain" in front of my inage. I can change the color of the "curtain" but still cannot see the desktop image. I have no problem with my icons.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-09-26T14:46:25+00:00

    hey, i have a question, when i get on my laptop how come it wont show the desktop, start, or anything on my computer? i just shows my backround picture.

    i hav a ASPIRE 5315-2142

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2009-09-20T14:19:53+00:00

    It's no problem. I'm really sorry I can't help further. I'll keep an eye out for any solutions, if I find one, I'll post it here. If you come across one, please post the solution so it can be used as a reference.

    Again, sorry for getting your hopes up =] Best of luck!


    Thanks, Callum Kerr. Check out my website for information on my software products. Xbox Live Gamertag: callum151000

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments