How to manually arrange folders in windows 7__

Anonymous
2009-10-24T14:09:18+00:00

When i try manually move one folder to be the first i can t whay

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-25T13:55:54+00:00

Hello ivan099, welcome.

You can manually arrange desktop icons, however, any other icons within folders are auto-arranged and cannot be altered by direct access. You can arrange them in a multitude of different ways by right clicking open space (within a folder) and selecting Sort By > More...

A problem was discovered in Windows XP when users would accidentally manually arrange folders and icons and, in turn, they would overlap eachother. For simplicity's sake and for performance reasons, this feature was removed.

There are a number of 3rd-party programs that exist that allow you to do this, however, they would of course not be supported by Microsoft.

I would search the internet for 'File Manager', 'Alternate Shell', or something of the like. You may find some support forums that have users that specialize in just the exact thing you are looking for.

Hope this helps,

Thanks!


Ryan Thieman

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-01T15:27:14+00:00

    "A problem was discovered in Windows XP when users would accidentally manually arrange folders and icons and, in turn, they would overlap each other. For simplicity's sake and for performance reasons, this feature was removed."

    Ryan, I used to purposely pile up my icons on XP and still do on the desktop in later versions of windows. Maybe I'm sorting through some things and I want to leave them in a folder... photos? Music files? Whatever, Or I want to make a pile file files that are in the folder, but are older ones that I don't need to see all spread out in a neatly arranged way.

    Alternatively, I want to arrange some folders with some things in specific place, not overlapping, but I can't anymore. Putting some shortcuts to other folders in a particular place. Putting most popular items up at the top, or grouping like items together.

    If this was a problem for "some users would accidentally manually arrange folders and cause overlap", then make it an option for the rest of us who are more than happy to arrange our own folders an understand or even want the overlap.

    Yes, I know that Microsoft will ignore this. Venting.

    Anybody have a good solution to this, let me know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-07-16T20:39:06+00:00

    MY CHOICE, 2 words M'soft seem to have issues with. I wanted to display some folders in an order of 'my choice', and there lies the problem. This habit of denying the user any choice and imposing their will forcibly is right at the heart of my contempt, that I'm sad to say has developed since I started using a PC, for M'soft. The irremovable Internet Explorer I have is a constant reminder of their Nazi-like behaviour, which is no secret so I'll leave it there, see if I can find a way to stick a few files in an order that I want to see them? Hopefully before Monday, and before I lose my rag, with any luck..........

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-31T20:39:23+00:00

    Wow, where I work we just finally switched over from the good old XP to Windows 7, and now this becomes an issue for me. I never had any problems with icons overlapping each other... what the heck does that even mean? So now they offer this HUGE list of trivial details that we may arrange our files by, yet do not allow us to do one of the 2 or 3 MOST OBVIOUS methods of arrangement, which is for us to simply put things where we bloody want them.

    This is just another example of the idiocy and arrogance at Microsoft. How do you think it would go over if the big automakers decided it would be "trendy" or "stylish" to put gas pedals on the left and brake pedals on the right for next year's auto models? That would be an incredibly idiotic thing to do, which would result in countless accidents, right? Well that is exactly what Microsoft does to us every few years. They build up our speed habits to do things one way, then they arbitrarily move stuff from the left to right and right to left just to say they have something new. It was originally the giant Microsoft that trained us to do things a certain way; I imagine their competitors in various areas are smart enough to be mimicking Microsoft layouts and Microsoft functioning to help make THEIR products seem handier and more efficient to us, while now Microsoft themselves stupidly toss various monkey wrenches into the mechanisms of our brains by needlessly changing and degrading the way their products function.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-11-14T03:06:21+00:00

    Did you read other replies in this thread?

     How to Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 7? - The Winhelponline Blog

    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disable-auto-arrange-folders-windows-7/ 

    Note: When you try to rearrange folders after the fix, you must do so in the root folder and not in a Library.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments