How to manually arrange folders in windows 7__

Anonymous
2009-10-24T14:09:18+00:00

When i try manually move one folder to be the first i can t whay

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-25T13:55:54+00:00

Hello ivan099, welcome.

You can manually arrange desktop icons, however, any other icons within folders are auto-arranged and cannot be altered by direct access. You can arrange them in a multitude of different ways by right clicking open space (within a folder) and selecting Sort By > More...

A problem was discovered in Windows XP when users would accidentally manually arrange folders and icons and, in turn, they would overlap eachother. For simplicity's sake and for performance reasons, this feature was removed.

There are a number of 3rd-party programs that exist that allow you to do this, however, they would of course not be supported by Microsoft.

I would search the internet for 'File Manager', 'Alternate Shell', or something of the like. You may find some support forums that have users that specialize in just the exact thing you are looking for.

Hope this helps,

Thanks!


Ryan Thieman

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-03-10T03:28:30+00:00

    im having the same problem and i think it was a pathetic idea for microsoft to remove this VERY important feature. it makes me kind of hate windows 7 now :(

    please get this sorted microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-01-17T11:54:55+00:00

    I am having the same problem, and it is a very big problem for me.  For the past 7 years, I have arranged all of my digital photos in a certain way.  I would create a folder for the new year, and then inside it I would create new month folders that also had the year, just as I say the dates.  For example, inside the "2010" folder, I just created "January 2010", "February 2010", and "March 2010".

      The computer is too stupid to realize these are dates (which it should really be able to do), and thus it always wants to put them in the wrong order.  I want to have January at the top upper left, but always had to manually drag the folder there, and place them in the correct order.  Now it appears that Microsoft took away the ability for me to place them in the correct order.

      I am very, very disappointed with this decision to take away consumer control and choice - and it is the main reason why I didn't "upgrade" our other two computers after installing Windows 7 on this one.  Although I have only dabbled with Linux before now, I think I'm going to install Ubuntu or Linux Mint, and see if they have similar limitations on users, or if they allow more freedom for their users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-11-11T15:29:40+00:00

    Thanks for a clear answer Ryan.  Unfortunately for me this was an important feature and I am very disappointed to see it go.  I routinely used manual arrangement to organize files within folders on my desktop across two axis at the same time, such as columns for various career paths, with increasing rank arranged vertically within each column, and blank columns between them.  Another example was columns for various certifications, arranged vertically within each column based on level.  I also used this feature for groupings such as 'active' vs. 'passive' within a given project folder on my Desktop.

    In short, while I don't necessarily see a need for this across all folders throughout the system, to the extent this was being used to provide a hierarchy of mini-desktops from my main desktop, this is a feature I would very much like to see restored in Windows 7.  Presently, the level of disruption caused by the loss of this feature alone, compared to the relatively minor value-add over Vista (to me, after having already shelled out the money on resources to support Vista), is enough to make me hold off.

    Thanks,

    Gordon

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-11-08T17:15:40+00:00

    I got around it by assigning a number to each of the files in the order that I wanted them to appear in the folder.  For example, the first one has a number 1 in front of the name, the second, number 2, and so on.  It is a pain to rename all of the files, but it works to put them in the order you want.  Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments