How to manually arrange folders in windows 7__

Anonymous
2009-10-24T14:09:18+00:00

When i try manually move one folder to be the first i can t whay

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-25T13:55:54+00:00

Hello ivan099, welcome.

You can manually arrange desktop icons, however, any other icons within folders are auto-arranged and cannot be altered by direct access. You can arrange them in a multitude of different ways by right clicking open space (within a folder) and selecting Sort By > More...

A problem was discovered in Windows XP when users would accidentally manually arrange folders and icons and, in turn, they would overlap eachother. For simplicity's sake and for performance reasons, this feature was removed.

There are a number of 3rd-party programs that exist that allow you to do this, however, they would of course not be supported by Microsoft.

I would search the internet for 'File Manager', 'Alternate Shell', or something of the like. You may find some support forums that have users that specialize in just the exact thing you are looking for.

Hope this helps,

Thanks!


Ryan Thieman

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-06-19T22:37:35+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-14T11:18:34+00:00

    You're quite right Ugh, the Nazi thing was a bit much but Satan is far more like it, more appropriate for the evil that clearly upset me that day, all the toys came out the pram!!! If I could tell you how I got it sorted I would, it would then be the first time I post something even close to a solution as opposed to a question, lunatic rant, or rage filled psychotic event. I've never come across anything that can annoy me quite like a PC, mixed with my ignorance, and apparent lack of aptitude, but I have improved and the restraining order should be lifted anytime soon, it'll be nice to see the wife and kids again. Anyway, I can't remember what I did as it was back in July but I can drag + drop folders wherever my want desires, in the order of my fancy. Obviously I didn't come up with this without the help of some kind soul, but I'm a techno whizz kid if I can remember how, what, or when it all came to be, not got a Danny (Larue!). If I have some sort of epiphany and remember I'll let you know, otherwise, all the best and I hope your folders are soon to be found wherever it is you want them to be, it's not too much to ask, is it?????

     Si

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-01T16:16:27+00:00

    I had actually considered this approach, but hated how it would look--and that there'd be extra stuff in the way of my finely-crafted labels. Plus I self-consciously imagined that it was yet another of my crazy schemes that others would poke fun at: not that that's always stopped me in the past, but one chooses one's battles. ;-)  In the end it was just as easy to adjust my whole approach to conform to the new paradigms. Not saying it was easy or that I like it, just that the workaround involved too much of its own disruption.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-01T15:45:47+00:00

    Let's not quite go as far as a Nazi comparison

    One solution, as somebody else pointed out is to number them.  I find this works fine in some situations. As long as your other files in the folder don't happen to start with numbers.

    I have a desktop folder that contains shortcuts to all the apps that I often use. But I want the most prominent ones grouped together and at the top.  So I prefix the shortcut names with #nn[space]   Like "#01 Evernote"

    The 0 is unnecessary, but I put it in there because if I ever get as high in my groupings to get to a 10, I don't want #1 files to be followed by #10 files, and then #2 files.  So with 01...09, then 10 will follow.

    The # character makes sure these appear before files that might have a name like 2brightsparks.com

    Still not as easy as Microsoft understanding that we prefer to have our computers comply to our wishes and not have their aesthetics department dictating where our icons must go.  ;-)  Hitler wouldn't do that sort of thing. Satan... maybe.  ;-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments