You may well be frustrated by the FO3 "experience", but starting a new thread
would be a better idea than resurrecting this old one.
This thread has a lot of hijackers (others asking a question, or presenting with different system specs, etc) that detract from the fact that the OP is using a laptop with Intel HD graphics which are not really suitable for this game. Without knowing which
version of Intel HD graphics it's difficult to say just how unsuitable, but all low settings is a good bet. In all the muddle there are some who said the suggestions got the game running for them.
Should you do decide to start your own thread describe exactly what is, or is not happening. Also include any error messages, and your system specifications.
You are obviously correct. FO3 is not working on your machine, but it certainly does on my and many thousands more Win7 64bit machines.
The problem is not Win7 compatibility. The problem is the game is prone to
instability. Like all games from Bethesda it does suffer from random crashes,
lots of crashes some times, but the game is compatible and will run on Win7 64bit.
The most important fixes for me were the Quad core fix and the ffdshow fix.
Why having to pop a d3d9.dll into the games directory is suppoed to help I don't
know, as I've never done so, but different systems get different results I guess.
I also installed using compatibility for Vista sp1 as a precaution, but don't really know if it benefits anything.
I also had a situation after about 150 hrs of game-play on my second play through
where the game did well and truly start stuffing up, including flashing grass textures, and crashes every few minutes, but reinstalling the game solved that,
and I was able to keep on with the old saves, but had to start a new game first and then copy the old saves into the new game save location (a GFWL thing).
I think this problem started when I enabled 'ambient occlusion' in Nvidia Control Panel. Possibly compounded by trying to run Anti-aliasing, which the game doesn't really need anyway.
Due to prior bad experience with GFWL, I also do not launch the game while on line. I avoid GFWL whenever possible regardless of which game, but if I remember
correctly I did let GFWL do it's thing just after installing. Trying to deny GFWL
it's 'update' opportunity (Steam too) can cause problems.
btw - Fallout New Vegas is more stable than FO3, Oblivion or Morrowind.
.