Fallout 3 Windows 7 crash on startup, tried patch, xlive.dll fix, ffdshow does nothing

Anonymous
2010-01-21T03:52:35+00:00

My laptop should be a sufficient enough system to run Fallout 3.

Windows 7

core i3

4gb ram 32/64x

cocoa 2 smartaudio

intel graphics hd

I downloaded the patch from the Fallout website, then got the xlive.dll error, downloaded the patch to fix that, continued to crash on startup, searched for ffdshow couldn't find it, when I found it in the registry enabling or disabling it has nothing to do with gameplay or fallout port, also read elsewhere that it's another fix that doesn't work - especially for windows 7 users.  Tried running in Vista and XP, I'm set to run everything as admin., none of this ____ works.  I bought this game retail, since when does a game not work?  AND when I paid full price for it?  This is ____ stupid.  Is it the graphics card - I don't think so?  Please help, I don't play much games, was really looking forward to trying this one out.  But I guess things just aren't made the way they used to...to work.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-22T03:50:52+00:00

Hi litleredpoetess

I would suggest you to check with the manufacturer regarding Windows 7 compatibility. 

You may even check for the compatibility from the below link: Windows compatibility center: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

Try installing the setup file in Windows Vista or XP compatibility mode. Steps to follow:

i.        Right Click on the game (On .exe file)

ii.      Click on Properties

iii.    Click on Compatibility tab

iv.     Select Run this program in compatibility mode and select windows vista

Below link for more reference: Make older programs run in this version of Windows: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

If the program or software is not compatible with windows 7 and if you are not able to run the software in compatibility mode then you need to contact the manufacturer of the software or program, for there are any update or patch for Windows 7.

Thanks and Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2010-08-17T21:51:48+00:00

    how do you use the compatibility mode if your not using an actual CD to install the game, for instance i got my edition from steampowered.com?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-12T06:36:35+00:00

    Before when i had windows 7, I had no problems running fallout 3. But since recently, I put windows 7 back on my with fallout 3. Patched it to the latest version and everything. 

    Heres the thing, As i run fallout 3 it would not get past that black box. It would just crash, Randomly why i did was, I went to /Documents/Mygames.

    The folder was called "fallout3" Now what i did randomly was rename the folder to "fallout 3". So i put a space in between "fallout" and the "3".

    Then after that i started fallout 3, It loaded with no problems, Even got past the vault. But the problem was not the "fallout3" mygames folder, But it was the fallout.ini inside that folder. 

    Hard to explain but maybe try that and it will fix your problems. It did for me. 

    but it might not, I hope it helps though. Hope i explained it properly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-06-30T19:30:24+00:00

    I've tried to do everything, i just tried that and i've downloaded the patch and nothing has worked yet

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments