Fallout 3 Windows 7 crash on startup, tried patch, xlive.dll fix, ffdshow does nothing

Anonymous
2010-01-21T03:52:35+00:00

My laptop should be a sufficient enough system to run Fallout 3.

Windows 7

core i3

4gb ram 32/64x

cocoa 2 smartaudio

intel graphics hd

I downloaded the patch from the Fallout website, then got the xlive.dll error, downloaded the patch to fix that, continued to crash on startup, searched for ffdshow couldn't find it, when I found it in the registry enabling or disabling it has nothing to do with gameplay or fallout port, also read elsewhere that it's another fix that doesn't work - especially for windows 7 users.  Tried running in Vista and XP, I'm set to run everything as admin., none of this ____ works.  I bought this game retail, since when does a game not work?  AND when I paid full price for it?  This is ____ stupid.  Is it the graphics card - I don't think so?  Please help, I don't play much games, was really looking forward to trying this one out.  But I guess things just aren't made the way they used to...to work.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-22T03:50:52+00:00

Hi litleredpoetess

I would suggest you to check with the manufacturer regarding Windows 7 compatibility. 

You may even check for the compatibility from the below link: Windows compatibility center: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

Try installing the setup file in Windows Vista or XP compatibility mode. Steps to follow:

i.        Right Click on the game (On .exe file)

ii.      Click on Properties

iii.    Click on Compatibility tab

iv.     Select Run this program in compatibility mode and select windows vista

Below link for more reference: Make older programs run in this version of Windows: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

If the program or software is not compatible with windows 7 and if you are not able to run the software in compatibility mode then you need to contact the manufacturer of the software or program, for there are any update or patch for Windows 7.

Thanks and Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2010-09-13T13:08:04+00:00

    Hey everyone.  It took me quite a while to find the answer to this one.  I recently upgraded my older laptop to a new Windows 7 OS based 64 bit core I7 Dell.  I reinstalled my copy of Fallout 3 GOY edition, and it would crash upon startup, as soon as I clicked "new game".  After reading hundreds of posts about Fallout 3 crashing, I finally came across this you tube video that showed me the fix. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GN5HbMsMVE  Basically, the original Fallout 3 (and Fallout 3 GOY edition) is missing the d3d9.dll file in the Fallout 3 directory.  Downloading this dll and putting it into the Fallout 3 directory fixed this for me instantly. 

    Hope it helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-08-18T12:44:16+00:00

    Once again the moderators carry on about compatibility - FO3 works fine with Win7. It has issues, but not with Win7... Iwill add i f any compatibility mode is needed it is Vista sp1. FO3 was made during the Vista era**.**

    Your problem is the Intel graphics chip. This is an onboard (not a separate graphics card) chip if I am correct.

    On board graphics are not good for games (videos). FO3 has several issues of it's own, and not having a proper graphics card only compounds them.

    You may get the game to run if you start out with everything turned down to low specs in the game settings, and with a low resolution. Then start turning things up until you get problems again, Not much fun though. Intel may mention "popular games" in their propaganda. Don't believe them. They are not talking about system stressing games.

    Your processor and RAM are fine, but I have to stress - high end games need a good graphics card. You are unlikely to be able to add or upgrade a card to your laptop.

    Then we have good old Steam, but I won't go into my Steam rant today....

     

    EDIT: The space in the folders name is an interesting trick. I don't know why it would matter if the name of the folder was not changed after installing the game, but whatever works eh ! Maybe it's anotherSteam thing.     Neither Xreveur or zp mention if they are running an Intel on board graphics chips.

    Well if you knew your facts, you would realize that Bethesda started the development of Fallout 3 in 2004 - 3 years before vista was released, and a year before it was even announced. Therefore, it isnotofficially compatible with Vista or 7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-08-18T00:59:37+00:00

    Changed folder name from "Fallout3" to "Fallout 3" - worked for  me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments