Fallout 3 Windows 7 crash on startup, tried patch, xlive.dll fix, ffdshow does nothing

Anonymous
2010-01-21T03:52:35+00:00

My laptop should be a sufficient enough system to run Fallout 3.

Windows 7

core i3

4gb ram 32/64x

cocoa 2 smartaudio

intel graphics hd

I downloaded the patch from the Fallout website, then got the xlive.dll error, downloaded the patch to fix that, continued to crash on startup, searched for ffdshow couldn't find it, when I found it in the registry enabling or disabling it has nothing to do with gameplay or fallout port, also read elsewhere that it's another fix that doesn't work - especially for windows 7 users.  Tried running in Vista and XP, I'm set to run everything as admin., none of this ____ works.  I bought this game retail, since when does a game not work?  AND when I paid full price for it?  This is ____ stupid.  Is it the graphics card - I don't think so?  Please help, I don't play much games, was really looking forward to trying this one out.  But I guess things just aren't made the way they used to...to work.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-22T03:50:52+00:00

Hi litleredpoetess

I would suggest you to check with the manufacturer regarding Windows 7 compatibility. 

You may even check for the compatibility from the below link: Windows compatibility center: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

Try installing the setup file in Windows Vista or XP compatibility mode. Steps to follow:

i.        Right Click on the game (On .exe file)

ii.      Click on Properties

iii.    Click on Compatibility tab

iv.     Select Run this program in compatibility mode and select windows vista

Below link for more reference: Make older programs run in this version of Windows: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

If the program or software is not compatible with windows 7 and if you are not able to run the software in compatibility mode then you need to contact the manufacturer of the software or program, for there are any update or patch for Windows 7.

Thanks and Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2011-05-18T17:22:00+00:00

    I found this out late but if u look at what system its made for its windows XP service packs and Vista service packs.  im hopefally waiting for and update to make it 7 compatible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-04-29T10:34:08+00:00

    hey buddy here is the link ....  working like a charm .

    http://www.filesonic.pk/file/867762704

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-01-17T10:26:18+00:00

    Hi all, bit of an old thread, but I thought I'd share my experience with my (now working) copy of Fallout 3 GOY.

    Rig: Phenom II X4 965 BE @ Stock / 4GB G.Skill Pi Series @ 1600MHz 7-8-7-24  / Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 @ Stock / Asus EAH5870 V2 @ 900/1200 / Windows 7 Pro x64

    Initially, the game itself seemed to install with no problems, but Windows reported the DLC pack was incompatible. First I got the xlive.dll error, which was fixed by installing the latest GFWL client from here:http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/Support/Pages/technicalIssuesGuide.aspx

    Then the game would launch but crash at the new game load screen. I installed the V1.7 patch from here:http://www.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads_01.html#f3patch

    Finally I dropped a copy of d3d9.dll into my Fallout 3 installation folder (D:\Fallout 3 in my case). Here's a link to the version I used:http://www.fileserve.com/file/h9mkmwm

    (This file has been scanned using Avira, but I take no responsibility blah blah blah... scan it yourself or get the file elsewhere if you don't trust me!)

    The game now seems to be running ok, although I haven't got much further than Vault 101 yet. Wierdly, the F3 launcher originally detected my gfx card correctly and auto-detected at Ultra detail. After the patching shenanigans, the card is now reported as an Nvidia Geforce 7600 and it auto-detects at medium detail... but seems to run fine (so far) when I manually set 1920 x 1200 @ Ultra detail. Why do I suspect I may have further problems with this game?! Anyway, we'll see... hope this helps someone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments