windows 7 backup error "shadow copy could not be created"

Anonymous
2009-10-29T00:57:14+00:00

I am trying to backup my PC to a USB external mass storage drive using Windows 7 backup feature.

I am getting the following error:

"A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. The specified object was not found. Error code: 0x81000019

appreciate any help on this issue

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-13T17:59:08+00:00

I was able to get windows 7 backup to finally work by doing the following:

The error message which I was receiving after windows 7 backup failed was:

A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. The specified object was not found. Error code: 0x81000019

My hard drive has a C and D partition. I am not sure if it was step 1, 2 or 3 below or a combination of all 3 steps that fixed my problem. I would start with step 1 then try to run backup. If that does not work procede to step 2 and try running backup again. If that still does not work go to step 3.  I excecuted all 3 steps prior to attemting my backup so I am not sure which one of the steps actually fixed the problem or if it was a combination of all 3 steps. All these steps together is now allowing me to backup via the windows 7 backup feature. Hopefully the solution will hold up long term.

Step 1:

I ran diskclean on the C and D drive partitions

Step 2:

Right click on computer

Properties

System Protection

Highlight D drive

Click Configure

Click delete all restore points

Step 3:

Right click on computer

Properties

System Protection

Highlight C drive

Click Configure

Click delete all restore points

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-04-07T20:22:54+00:00

    I had the same problem in windows 7 and I know what caused it (in my case) .. I used tune up utilities a few days ago and this disabled some services to free up extra ram. One of the services that was disabled was Microsoft Shadow Copy .. I have set this on Manual now and everything is fine again. I guess the people from tune up utilities were to blame here as a service like this should always be set on manual (will run when needed) instead of totally disabled or default: Automatic.

    To fix it go to START and in the search field type: Services . Open services and look for the service I mentioned and simply set it on automatic or manual (last option is best to save some ram)

    If it was disabled and you decide to set it on automatic you will need to reboot again so windows automaticly starts this service

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-04-12T01:57:48+00:00

    After trying everything on this page I tried one last thing and it worked! I currently have Rollback 9.1 installed on my system drive only. It turns out there's 2 ways to get my backup to work, either uninstall rollback and run the backup which then works, then re-install Rollback

    OR in Rollback v9.1 there's a new command that can be started from the Run box - shieldcmd /defrag  which also allows running Windows backiup while Rollback is still installed!

    This command was originally added so that any defrag program could completely defrag a hard drive with Rollback still installed. Once the defrag is done Rollback's baseline needs to be updated to the current system snapshot.

    I decided, since I didn't want to lose my restore points so I ran the shieldcmd /defrag command and my backup then ran and completed successfully! AND since this was a backup and not a defrag ( I'm just copying files with the backup) There was no need to update the baseline in Rollback.

    I imagine other programs like Goback and Comodo Time Machine would need to be uninstalled before a backup as they have no command similar to Rollback's shieldcmd /defrag in their current versions

    So, I hope this helps out anyone who may have one of these progs installed

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-04-12T02:17:03+00:00

    well ill let you know if it works myine wont finish and skiops files like a set of my pictures and tells me cant back it up because its on the the target path and dont know how that happen it work fine before

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-06-09T23:28:39+00:00

    My Problem was...

    [A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. The specified object was not found. Error code: 0x81000019].

    I solved my problem in Windows 7 64bit.

    I had Ubuntu installed as a boot loader and I think it commandeered some of the 100MB System disk for itself. After reading posts else where increasing the size of the system partition fixes backup (max. 500MB).

    Using Ububtu v10.04, I used Gpart and shrunk my Windows 7 boot drive (80GB) partition by 400MB and expanded the System disk partition (System disk is now 500MB).

    Used the Windows 7 System repair disk I had made earlier (or you can use the Win7 Install disk unless it's not provided by some OEM installs), because I couldn't boot into Windows 7 using the Ubuntu loader. I was able to recover my boot options back to Windows 7 boot loader.

    Ran Windows 7 BACKUP with no hitch.

    I then used the free EasyBCD2.0.2 within Windows 7 and adjusted my recovered boot option names.

    NOTES

    Using the Windows 7 repair boot disk took 3xReboots and running repair each time to eventually repair the BCD.

    System Repair disk notes...

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows7/Create-a-system-repair-disc

    System Repair disk OPTIONS notes...

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments