windows 7 backup error "shadow copy could not be created"

Anonymous
2009-10-29T00:57:14+00:00

I am trying to backup my PC to a USB external mass storage drive using Windows 7 backup feature.

I am getting the following error:

"A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. The specified object was not found. Error code: 0x81000019

appreciate any help on this issue

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-13T17:59:08+00:00

I was able to get windows 7 backup to finally work by doing the following:

The error message which I was receiving after windows 7 backup failed was:

A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. The specified object was not found. Error code: 0x81000019

My hard drive has a C and D partition. I am not sure if it was step 1, 2 or 3 below or a combination of all 3 steps that fixed my problem. I would start with step 1 then try to run backup. If that does not work procede to step 2 and try running backup again. If that still does not work go to step 3.  I excecuted all 3 steps prior to attemting my backup so I am not sure which one of the steps actually fixed the problem or if it was a combination of all 3 steps. All these steps together is now allowing me to backup via the windows 7 backup feature. Hopefully the solution will hold up long term.

Step 1:

I ran diskclean on the C and D drive partitions

Step 2:

Right click on computer

Properties

System Protection

Highlight D drive

Click Configure

Click delete all restore points

Step 3:

Right click on computer

Properties

System Protection

Highlight C drive

Click Configure

Click delete all restore points

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-11-07T13:13:45+00:00

    Resizing the hidden partition also worked for me.  I had been fighting a VSS error with Roxio's Retrospect Pro version 7.7 for months.  Roxio tech staff thought it may be due to other backup programs that may have somehow confused the VSS service (they pointed me to this post: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7repair/thread/34b62c1b-93e6-4848-a9a0-59e3f4019ebb)

    That was not the case, however.  It was simply that the hidden partition on the C: drive had insufficient space. Using Partition Wizard, I resized the hidden partition from 100 MB to 1 GB (yes, a little overkill).  Now no more VSS errors and open file backup works just fine (and so does Microsoft Backup which had never worked since upgrading to Win 7 64 bit).

    It is interesting to note that while the hidden partition had 70 MB free (prior to the resize), this was not sufficient for VSS.


    Bill

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-07-11T00:18:02+00:00

    My windows back up runs fine now, as I suspected it was related to running virgin media online VStuff back up with their free security package. All I did was run vstuff in compatability mode for windows xp sp3 instead of running it in windows 7 mode, and windows back up started running again, and subseqent scheduled backups.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-10T11:25:50+00:00

    Did not work for me... sorry

    I am trying to use 1.8 TB as the target for the back up... The drive came with a back up program.. that works I was trying to get the Windows crappola to work ...

    As usual.. some freakin hitch...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-05-20T15:13:43+00:00

    Hi everyone, 

    I encountered this error a couple of days ago on my new samsung  R580 notebook. I have read many of the posts, and I am not as advanced in computers as the majority here. I have tried some of the more basic recommendations but to no avail. However, I did notice that this error occurred after I installed Virgin media security and in particular Virgin's Vstuff online backup, these replaced my trial Mcaffee protection.

    I unistallad Vstuff and then found I had to set up the windows backup again, on doing so I encountered a new error code 0x80070002, The system cannot find the file specified. So I reinstalled Vstuff and got back the error code 0x81000019.

    So, in my humble opinion, I believe Virgin media's free Vstuff online backup has in some way corrupted windows 7 backup. It would be very interesting to find out how many others who are experiencing these error codes are indeed Virgin customers who have installed Vstuff ????

    I don't really know where to go from here, and would appreciate hearing people's thoughts to this theory. I have Samsung recovery solution 4 installed, but I am not sure if I should do a complete restore back to my "Initial status" as alhtough I've only had my notebook for a couple of months a lot of personal data, updates and programes have been added since. I am also unsure that If I did do this that any corrupted registry files would be restored to normal and the problem fixed ??  I did create a system repair disc soon after getting my notebook too.

    Please help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments