windows 7 backup error "shadow copy could not be created"

Anonymous
2009-10-29T00:57:14+00:00

I am trying to backup my PC to a USB external mass storage drive using Windows 7 backup feature.

I am getting the following error:

"A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. The specified object was not found. Error code: 0x81000019

appreciate any help on this issue

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-13T17:59:08+00:00

I was able to get windows 7 backup to finally work by doing the following:

The error message which I was receiving after windows 7 backup failed was:

A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. The specified object was not found. Error code: 0x81000019

My hard drive has a C and D partition. I am not sure if it was step 1, 2 or 3 below or a combination of all 3 steps that fixed my problem. I would start with step 1 then try to run backup. If that does not work procede to step 2 and try running backup again. If that still does not work go to step 3.  I excecuted all 3 steps prior to attemting my backup so I am not sure which one of the steps actually fixed the problem or if it was a combination of all 3 steps. All these steps together is now allowing me to backup via the windows 7 backup feature. Hopefully the solution will hold up long term.

Step 1:

I ran diskclean on the C and D drive partitions

Step 2:

Right click on computer

Properties

System Protection

Highlight D drive

Click Configure

Click delete all restore points

Step 3:

Right click on computer

Properties

System Protection

Highlight C drive

Click Configure

Click delete all restore points

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-09-18T08:45:53+00:00

    I solved this problem in Windows 10 by opening system properties (right click on my computer and click properties), going to System protection, selecting the C disk (that I wanted to backup), clicking configure, and then making sure that system protection is turned on. Disk space usage for system restore might also need to be increased for the swadow copy to be able to stored.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-24T23:58:43+00:00

    Thanks, greendl, spot on solution.  Windows Backup stopped working just a few days after a clean Win 7 install.  Just a few more updates left about 38MB free in the System Reserved partition.   I used MiniTool to expand the System Reserved partition to 400MB as the Windows Disk Management tool would not expand the partition.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-26T15:38:43+00:00

    Usually this error comes when the 100 MB hidden System Reserved partition created by Windows 7 does not have enough space to store a shadow copy.

    Please check the freespace on this volume. Follow the following steps:

    1. Start -> Computer -> Right click -> Manage
    2. Select Storage -> Disk management.
    3. Verify that you have a System Reserved partition of 100 MB size.
    4. If yes, right click on this volume and select Properties.
    5. View used and free space.

    Windows backup requires around 40 MB of free space on this partition to backup successfully. So if the free space is less than 40 MB, backup does not get enough free space.

    As a workaround try the following solution:

    Resize the partitions to increase the space for the System Reserved partition. 

    I used MiniTool Partition Wizard Free and had to reboot.

    Do not try to compress this partition or windows will not boot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-19T06:30:08+00:00

    I posted this on the thread you suggested and it is the quickest and simpliest way that worked for me to get atleast the 40MB needed to create a shodow copy.[A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. The specified object was not found. Error code: 0x81000019]!!!  This is a much quicker way that worked for me. I just right clicked on the 100MB drive in manage my drive view and selected properties..  I checked compress all files and folder on the 100MB and I had to skip 1 or 2 but it went from 30MB to 60MB free space.. Then for the first time it did a full backup....WOW!!!

    Thanks! This was the solution that worked for me as well!

    Now what happens next time? Does this drive accumulate clutter as time goes by? If so, how do we clean the thing without doing something bad to our operating systems?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments