'Devices and Printers' is blank, hangs, empty

Anonymous
2010-01-25T21:14:27+00:00

Hi All:

I sincerely apologize if my specific problem has been solved already.  As the title indicates, when I open Orb -> Devices and printers it always shows up empty. I have tried every bluetooth related post including upgrading drivers, verifying the BT services (both) are running, the suggestion to use the IE8 registry cmd script etc.  Virtually all the posts were point at BT, so I disabled, uninstalled all drivers, re-enabled it, re-installed, etc. At each step I tried the Devices and Printers with the same results.

Adding some details: 

  1. My printers installed works prefectly
  2. My scanner installed and works perfectly
  3. 2 Phones with BT installed work perfectly including :make a call, transfer files (both ways), listen to/control music player, internet browsing via BT modem
  4. As with Devices and Printers, the Devices and Printers -> Bluetooth Devices is also empty (even while using BT successfully)
  5. This is my 4th W7HP install but my first with BT. The others have no issues in this area at all
  6. This is a brand new Asus 1201N, BT built-in, all drivers were pre-installed, Broadcom BT model, 2GB, 25GB HD, Atom 330.
  7. Drivers and Printers was empty from the first point at which the OS was configured after first power up.
  8. All of my machines have a C: for the OS and a separate D: partition labeled USERDATA. Never had a problem with this under Vista or W7. Very convenient for restoring (see below).

I AM PULLING MY HAIR OUT looking for a solution to no avail.  I use Paragon Disk Backup so I don't mind hacking my registry or other configs and am brave enough (fool hardy?) to try just about any suggestions since I can always do a full restore of the OS Partition.

Truly appreciate any feedback. Please, no "check your BT services". Been there, done that.

Regards,

Jeff

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-03-28T01:17:06+00:00

I just tried this and this FIX works ..

Click Start button, type "services" into the search program and files box. This brings up a list in the menu, select Services. This should open a list of local services on your system.., Find 'Bluetooth Service" and make sure it has started, right click and set to 'automatic' (mine was already set), Select "Bluetooth Support Service" and start, set to automatic (mine was set on manual) --

Really wierd. Debleena, can you please explain.

Regards,

Rakesh

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-04-13T13:28:36+00:00

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-04-14T13:51:58+00:00

    I have been stuggling with this issue for months as well. At one point I did something (have no idea what) that fixed the printer issue. I saved a restore point immediately. Now when the problem resurfaces, which it does sporadically, I restore to the old restore point. It is a clunky solution but it keeps me working. My wife has a W7 laptop as well and it does not have the issue. 

    I have not attempted the "fix corrupted user profile" posted by Paul L54 but I may attempt it.

    Unfortunately I rely on my laptop to make a living. I have been forced to order a replacement laptop in hopes I do not have the same issue. Also, due to the nature of my business and clients the fruity version is not a viable option for me at this time.

    MICROSOFT NEEDS TO TAKE THIS ISSUE SERIOUSLY AND SEND A FIX. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-04-26T15:32:52+00:00

    There are numerous threads with various solutions none of the ones tried have worked as yet (bt service, sfc scannow, restart in safe mode ). But problem intermittently returns. Now have to check if devices and printer loads if not restart computer and try again.

    This is not a viable long term solution.

    Can a support engineer - if such a thing exists - help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments