'Devices and Printers' is blank, hangs, empty

Anonymous
2010-01-25T21:14:27+00:00

Hi All:

I sincerely apologize if my specific problem has been solved already.  As the title indicates, when I open Orb -> Devices and printers it always shows up empty. I have tried every bluetooth related post including upgrading drivers, verifying the BT services (both) are running, the suggestion to use the IE8 registry cmd script etc.  Virtually all the posts were point at BT, so I disabled, uninstalled all drivers, re-enabled it, re-installed, etc. At each step I tried the Devices and Printers with the same results.

Adding some details: 

  1. My printers installed works prefectly
  2. My scanner installed and works perfectly
  3. 2 Phones with BT installed work perfectly including :make a call, transfer files (both ways), listen to/control music player, internet browsing via BT modem
  4. As with Devices and Printers, the Devices and Printers -> Bluetooth Devices is also empty (even while using BT successfully)
  5. This is my 4th W7HP install but my first with BT. The others have no issues in this area at all
  6. This is a brand new Asus 1201N, BT built-in, all drivers were pre-installed, Broadcom BT model, 2GB, 25GB HD, Atom 330.
  7. Drivers and Printers was empty from the first point at which the OS was configured after first power up.
  8. All of my machines have a C: for the OS and a separate D: partition labeled USERDATA. Never had a problem with this under Vista or W7. Very convenient for restoring (see below).

I AM PULLING MY HAIR OUT looking for a solution to no avail.  I use Paragon Disk Backup so I don't mind hacking my registry or other configs and am brave enough (fool hardy?) to try just about any suggestions since I can always do a full restore of the OS Partition.

Truly appreciate any feedback. Please, no "check your BT services". Been there, done that.

Regards,

Jeff

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-03-28T01:17:06+00:00

I just tried this and this FIX works ..

Click Start button, type "services" into the search program and files box. This brings up a list in the menu, select Services. This should open a list of local services on your system.., Find 'Bluetooth Service" and make sure it has started, right click and set to 'automatic' (mine was already set), Select "Bluetooth Support Service" and start, set to automatic (mine was set on manual) --

Really wierd. Debleena, can you please explain.

Regards,

Rakesh

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-12-26T14:56:22+00:00

    Hi cfg-mgt,

    This thread is too old. Please create a new thread stating to avoid confusion as there are many different posters in this thread & it will be easy for the community users to assist you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-01-15T07:09:50+00:00

    I, too, had the [Windows 7, SP1] problem of "Devices and Printers" showing nothing and hanging.

    I have an old Dell A940 printer whose driver has never quite been completely installed without error (though printing was possible), which I therefore thought might be the problem. I uninstalled it; problem persisted.

    I set a restore point and was ready to begin the scary task of deleting every reference and link to the printer. There were many. Many.

    I Googled <windows 7 devices and printers hangs> and found this thread.

    I was hoping running SFC would solve the problem. Nope.

    So when I read about the "start the Bluetooth support service" fix, I was, like, oh, yeah... sure. THAT'll work--I have No Bluetooth devices; none have ever been connected to this PC.

    But I decided to try the Bluetooth fix. It might just be easier than messing with the registry.

    I have SIX Bluetooth services, two Intel-specific. All six were disabled. I guess I did it--why not? No Bluetooth devices, So I set them to Automatic and started all six.

    For whatever reason, problem solved.

    P.S. I stopped all six services. Problem UNsolved. 

    I re-started ONLY Bluetooth SUPPORT.

    Problem solved.

    FWIW. Just confirming that this COULD fix OTHER people's similar problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-01-23T13:18:14+00:00

    Yes, this I tried this ANSWER and It Worked!

    I Found Out that the "Bluetooth Support Service" [bthserv] was Disabled... I used "pserv.cpl 2.7" in my services Start Menu Search.

    This caused my Bluetooth Dongle or any Bluetooth Devices including Cellphones Didn't Worked at All... Thanks to this Thread!

    And Now My "Devices and Printers" Worked and Being Populated!

    Thanks! A Lot. ô_ô

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments