'Devices and Printers' is blank, hangs, empty

Anonymous
2010-01-25T21:14:27+00:00

Hi All:

I sincerely apologize if my specific problem has been solved already.  As the title indicates, when I open Orb -> Devices and printers it always shows up empty. I have tried every bluetooth related post including upgrading drivers, verifying the BT services (both) are running, the suggestion to use the IE8 registry cmd script etc.  Virtually all the posts were point at BT, so I disabled, uninstalled all drivers, re-enabled it, re-installed, etc. At each step I tried the Devices and Printers with the same results.

Adding some details: 

  1. My printers installed works prefectly
  2. My scanner installed and works perfectly
  3. 2 Phones with BT installed work perfectly including :make a call, transfer files (both ways), listen to/control music player, internet browsing via BT modem
  4. As with Devices and Printers, the Devices and Printers -> Bluetooth Devices is also empty (even while using BT successfully)
  5. This is my 4th W7HP install but my first with BT. The others have no issues in this area at all
  6. This is a brand new Asus 1201N, BT built-in, all drivers were pre-installed, Broadcom BT model, 2GB, 25GB HD, Atom 330.
  7. Drivers and Printers was empty from the first point at which the OS was configured after first power up.
  8. All of my machines have a C: for the OS and a separate D: partition labeled USERDATA. Never had a problem with this under Vista or W7. Very convenient for restoring (see below).

I AM PULLING MY HAIR OUT looking for a solution to no avail.  I use Paragon Disk Backup so I don't mind hacking my registry or other configs and am brave enough (fool hardy?) to try just about any suggestions since I can always do a full restore of the OS Partition.

Truly appreciate any feedback. Please, no "check your BT services". Been there, done that.

Regards,

Jeff

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-03-28T01:17:06+00:00

I just tried this and this FIX works ..

Click Start button, type "services" into the search program and files box. This brings up a list in the menu, select Services. This should open a list of local services on your system.., Find 'Bluetooth Service" and make sure it has started, right click and set to 'automatic' (mine was already set), Select "Bluetooth Support Service" and start, set to automatic (mine was set on manual) --

Really wierd. Debleena, can you please explain.

Regards,

Rakesh

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-12-26T14:47:32+00:00

    I have been the same issue. I corrected it by performing a system restore but the issue returned within a few days making me beleive it happens after one of Windows' updates. 

    This is very frustrating and is literally stopping me from working. I am anxious to find an answer as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-12-14T17:19:51+00:00

    Unfortunately I have this problem happening on some of the pc's at my office.  We run HP laptops and I have tried the IE Reg fix, I have tried the bluetooth services automatic / enabled and still not working.

    This seems to be very speratic and very hit or miss.  The bluetooth services has not worked on any of the machines.  I have thought that it might have something to do with Hibernation and Global Policy as we have all of our systems set up to automatically map the printers through GP.

    I tried to go to the KB fix and when I put my information in, the error came up saying this fix was no longer available.

    Anyone find a real response to this dilemma?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-26T06:34:17+00:00

    I'm having the same problem. 

    Ran SFC and started and set to automatic the bluetooth service

    When I restart the computer it detects the printers and I can open devices and printers and I can actually print but after a few minutes it stops working and explorer.exe hangs and I have to kill it with task manager

    bluetooth service is always running according to services

    Any ideas?

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments